Water Cooler Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SailorZach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I was looking for some advice on a 5 gallon tank I am putting together. This will be my first tank, but it’ll be a little unusual. I’m making a tank out of a gutted out water cooler, the kind you often see in offices and lunchrooms. I got the idea from the movie, Real Genius, if you’ve seen it (if not I recommend it). As I said I’m new to aquariums (and completely lost), but I don’t want to have the boring goldfish and/or beta fish everyone has. I’ve gone to my local pet store, but unfortunately they were not very knowledgeable. If anyone could please tell me what I would need to maintain a saltwater tank (saltwater because I noticed there were a lot more exciting fish in saltwater tanks, although I am open to suggestions in both kinds of water). I’m afraid I do not understand what factors (pH, salinity, temperature, etc) to watch and maintain. For the filter or heater (or what ever else would be suggested), I’d like to run it through the opening in the bottom of the bottle. I don’t know if a product is sold to accommodate this want. Of course I did cut the top, so it acts as a lid for feeding and lighting. Also, if anyone could suggest certain fish they prefer and their opinions on the way I should stock my project. Any ideas on fish, their combinations, amount of fish, and plants/rocks would be awesome. Unfortunately I know my tank is very small, so I can’t accommodate exotic creatures like lionfish. But I’d like to get as interesting as I can, something eye catching. So please let me know your opinions on my project, whether they be suggestions, questions, or telling me I’m crazy. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you.

Personally, I would not do it due to size and the amount of work that you would need to put into it. You would be better getting a real tank above 30 gallons which will be easier on you and the fish in the long run. In something that small a lot could go wrong, and fast. The more water volume, the better.

Back
Top Bottom