Weather stripping or not under large tank frame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinxBolling

Aquarium Advice Activist
Howdy All -

I am almost finished with a stand for a 210 Gallon Aqueon/All Glass tank. The tank will sit on a surface of oak plywood and the tank has a plastic rim on the bottom and top. I have read that I should place some weather stripping under the plastic tank frame and I've read that I shouldn't put weather stripping under the tank frame: Does anyone have any links or documantation from aquarium manufacturers on this subject? I've heard anecdotal information - but Im curious if anyone has info straight from an aquarium manufacturer.

Glasscages.com recommends 3/4" Styrofoam under their tanks. If you do not place it on styrofoam they will not uphold the warranty. I've heard of people cracking the bottom of their tanks by placing foam under it though. I think someone on here had that problem. I'd wait and see what some other people say.

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=AqWarranty

I personally have never used anything under my tanks. I just make sure the stand is level and there are no gaps under the black trim before I fill it up. I've had 10, 20H, 30H, 30 long, and a 75g with nothing under them.

I like a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood. Comes in handy to hang things from nes,pipe,hose & what ever. I guess It's insulation. PS covering the glass but not on it, on the frame.

Well, I ordered the tank today (210 Aqueon) and I decided to go with some adhesive back/roll weatherstripping under the frame. The LFS says that it "wasn't necessary, but sure won't hurt" and it's cheap anyway.

As meegosh suggested, check your warrenty! Many manufactures will not warrenty the aquarium should something go wrong if you have placed such things under the tank.

I did email Aqueon and asked them but they haven't replied and I couldn't find any info on their website. I'd welcome it if anyone does have their warranty info though

I heard from Aqueaon and they basically said " we recommend that you use our stand and then you don't need any foam/weather stripping." So - no real advice from them other than it sounds like IF the stand is made properly; one doesn't need it, the weatherstripping.

I don't know what is expected of weatherstripping under a tank other than sealing so no water can get beneath. Styro is placed under tanks to absorb any discrepencies in flatness on the stand top. This is more likely to be an issue if the tank stand is made of dimensional lumber such as 2 x 4 as opposed to plywood. Dimensional lumber is rarely perfectly straight and is subject to warping and twisting. This can cause torquing of the tank which can lead to failure.

BillD- I think the idea of weather stripping and foam is pretty much for the same goal: to correct for issues in the stand being a true level and flat plane. My top is 3/4 oak plywood and I've put a level on it every which way and I know it's level --so, I am still going back-and-forth in my mind as to if I will or won't put anything under the frame. Again: I have heard both "you should" and "you shouldn't" -- I am beginning to suspect that IF one is confident that the stand is structurally strong, and IS truly level and flat: one probably should NOT but if one suspects imperfections in the stand: one should use styrofoam/weather stripping to correct variances.

image-2910071644.jpg

The stand in question - the interior is constucted of 6 4x4 legs with 2x4 frames. The top is 3/4" oak plywood

Considering a 250 gallon tank weighs almost 600 pounds, not counting the weight of water, the "?" of weatherstripping shouldn't be such a concern as just be very sure the stand is dead-level. That much weight will crush any substance ie. weatherstripping, rendering it useless anyway. Just test the aquarium for watertightness and go from there. Unless you have built an extremely sturdy base that won't bow or bend, I would use solid wood rather than plywood but that's just me.

Redbird - The tank is supposed to arrive this week - and I've come to the same conclusion you have. As for using plywood; I "think" I'll be ok as under the plwood is a frame of 2 X 4's and 4 x 4's. In a sense the plywood isn't really holding any weight - it is just there to provide a flat plane for the tank. I guess I'll be the first to find out if I built it stong enough! :)

Not sure how your framework is set-up under the plywood, but provided you set it up correctly, you won't have any problem.

weatherstripping issue

I work w/wood alot and the problem w/plywood is that it warps and separates easily if it gets damp, then will get moldy & rot under the aquarium. If you have solid wood framing, add a couple layers of deck sealer (waterproofing) on all surfaces under the aquarium that may get wet. "Green" wood will also crack slightly as it dries out and any moisture will alter the sturdiness unless you've treated it. It sounds like a pain, but a couple of coats only takes afew hours to dry enough to seal and not be sticky. The framing you describe should be sufficient to not have to install plywood, it'll just be a hassle. sorry I didn't see the photo of the stand till now, Unless that plywood is part of the unit, I would still just use the frame.

Last edited:
Thanks all. The tank should be in Thursday - I ordered sand today. ' one step at a time!
I appreciate all the advice

Hey unless ya just gotta have special colored or SUPER soft, fine stuff, ya can save some $, use "play"sand from the local DIY store. I bought two 60# bags @ $3 bucks. Playsand is sterile too. The Pleco & Cory cats love to scoot in it. Have fun!

I used 3/4" plywood on my 75g stand. I stained it and did quite a few coats of polyurethane to seal it up. I did something similar years ago when I built my 30g long stand, but I used Rustoleum gloss black instead. Both stands still look good as new. Don't go cheap on this step, seal everything, even the inside of the stand and bottom of the plywood.

Back
Top Bottom