weight limits on tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon bowfront with an 18" HOB fuge on it. I just got the 24" outer orbit HQI/PC/LED set up weighing in at about 18lb.sa and its WAY to wide to fit correctly on its legs. What I was thinking was to try and build a hood that could hold the lights above the tank. 8O 8O 8O but I am a little worries about the added weight on the top of the tank. After all is done I would have added about 20 pounds..... Im lost thanks for any help guys!!!!!!!!

I have about 100lbs of substrate and rock in my 55-gallon tank, but that's spread out across the tank and on the bottom where the stand supports it. Is this all going to be sitting on the top of the tank and pushing on the edges of the tank rather than dispersed across the whole bottom?

The owner of my LFS stands on his ten gallon tanks that are on the bottom row of his tank rack to reach the top row of tanks when he has to boost himself up... I'd say he weighs about 170lbs... he actually stands at the corner of two tanks where they meet, so he is dispersing his weight, albeit on the seams. I would say you're fine.

Bah 20lbs isn't much. You'll be perfectly fine unless the tank is already weak.

Yea that wouldn't be a problem at all. That lfs owner is crazy I would never try to stand on a ten gallon lol but hey it's his store so he must know his stuff...

Back
Top Bottom