what do you use for media in you DIY FW sump??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbo V6 Camaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I can't afford a good canister or pre-built sump at the moment

But i can DIY, been reading and looking at setups

the only thing holding me is media,

I have seen may you-tube videos where may people use the one scrubber from walmart as bio media..... rather then bio balls....

but what about stage 1? I'll have a filter for larger stuff over the intake

i would like 3 stages, 1 = filter 2= bio 3= polishers (witch i assume just filter smaller particles:confused:. micro fiber?

I hate cloudy water

would prefer no to buy form the fish store if i can find the same thing for less.

maybe a pool filter place?

I use:

#1 - Coarse filter foam from Big Al's - bulk sheets are just as cheap as that from craft store.

#2 - Used carbon - Carbon has about as much surface as the fancy ceramics & after a month or so is inert & a cheap substitute for the ceramic rings. <Make sure it had not been exposed to meds & toxins.>
I also run bio-balls, but you can substitute plastic scrubbies (make sure it has no soap or mildewcide ... the cheaper ones tend to be additive free). You may also substitute lava rock (use in ponds all the time) but it is more bulky & heavier.

#3 - Polyester Fiberfill batts from fabric store.

I use bioballs and egg crate to hold them up, a block of foam the width of the sump and two bags of carbon.

I use flower pots the red clay ones and break them to small pieces and use that for DIY biomedia.

basically you need some foam, some bio material and some dividers. are you also running your heater in the sump?

Well I can't afford a good canister or pre-built sump at the moment

But i can DIY, been reading and looking at setups

the only thing holding me is media,

I have seen may you-tube videos where may people use the one scrubber from walmart as bio media..... rather then bio balls....

but what about stage 1? I'll have a filter for larger stuff over the intake

i would like 3 stages, 1 = filter 2= bio 3= polishers (witch i assume just filter smaller particles:confused:. micro fiber?

I hate cloudy water

would prefer no to buy form the fish store if i can find the same thing for less.

maybe a pool filter place?

I use bioballs and egg crate to hold them up, a block of foam the width of the sump and two bags of carbon.

I use flower pots the red clay ones and break them to small pieces and use that for DIY biomedia.

basically you need some foam, some bio material and some dividers. are you also running your heater in the sump?
yes i would like to run the heaters in the sump, I think i'm going to get a 20G tank for the sump

(primary tank is 75)

my stand has a small opening so limited on space in that area

where to get the foam ? i have an old memory foam matras i can cut into, but don't think that is fish safe LOL

Foam you can get at a pet shop or on ebay, I suggest ebay.

I use ac70 or aqua clear HOB 70 foam blocks and just use ge-1 silicone to adhere them together to make a big one, 30 blocks for 18 bucks shipped on ebay last month. cant go wrong.

20g tank is 24" wide by 12" deep inside dimensions I believe, add atleast 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch for clearance.

I got a smaller stand and had to go find a sump, my tanks wouldnt fit under the stand properly.

Back
Top Bottom