What should I build my stand out of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be building my own stand. What type of wood would be the best to use? Should I paint it or seal it? This tank will be built in the wall so no one will see the stand I don't care if it's pretty or not.

pine is cheap and well strong enough to support your tank. You can place a piece of 3/4" plywood over the top of the frame to evenly support your tank. I have done this with my tank and did this. It works great. I don't think with as little water as the wood is going to see that you need to waterproof it. Although I would suggest that you use some type of sheet rcok that is treated for damp areas.

standard 2X4 lumber will be fine. No need to sheet the top of stand since you have a glass tank. No need to paint etc if you can not see it. Should be a easy job if you have any building experience at all should only take a couple hours to complete it.

I recommend mahagony, oak, or cherry...but pine is fine.

For a stand built in the wall behind sheetrock?

Make it out of titanium then while we are wasting money.

I had to edit my response. I mis-spelled a word.

LOL Brenden is too funny :lol:

Very true make it outta pine no need to waist $$$ on any other kind of wood. Not sure the plywood is necessary if you build the stand properly it should be even anyways.

I would go with the 2x4's sheeted with 3/4 plywood across the top. And just because a can of polyurethane costs about $5.00, I would still coat it a time or 2. If for no other reason than to guarantee that no water soaks into the wood and begins to deteriorate it. And I would go with the green sheetrock to. It's for the most part water resistant. They use it in bathrooms where the walls tend to get wet.

Ok pine and plywood it is. I will replace my sheetrock with the green stuff. Sounds like a plan guys thanks!. I think I will seal it just to be on the safe side.

i wouldnt go with particle board, very bad idea, it absorbs water, and turns to crap very easily.

your best bet has been suggested already, just a 2x4 frame. and if you want to feel better, you can put plywood on top for more support in evening out weight. though its not needed.

heres a link to build the stand, everythings laid out, couldnt be easier.
http://www.garf.org/tank/buildstand.asp

we want pictures upon completion!

I am in the middle of building a stand. Mine will be in the dining room so it will be a little fancier.

2x4's are fine. I also recommend the 3/4" plywood on the top. It will help with any constructions unevenness.

Sealing the wood is a good thing, just to be safe. Even if water does not get on it, the wood will be exposed to higher humidity, so sealing is better.

Good advise as usual guys. I will defiantly post pics of my progress once I get started. I'm still a month or 2 off from starting. Just tying to get a game plan on what needs doing.

ok...here is what i did for my 80/90 gal
built a frame out of 2x4 then got high quality pine ( or you can go oak or whatever)
and faced it....same way they do cabinets.
then stain it and varnish it...that will seal it from any saltwater damage
Any exposed screws...make sure you use stainless steal

If you think about it the ENTIRE tank bottom isnt sitting on something, its just the outer rims (and the middle brace depending how big it is)

These are the only things you need to support, so as long as you have 2x4 in those places you will be fine.

No need for plywood accross the top.

I have a 2x6 cross brace and have a 1/2 plywood shimmed inbetween the glass bottom and the brace just to make me feel better....it was a prefect fit
glass does give and I figured all or most of my LR is based in the middle - meaning most of the weight is in the middle which is most cases is not really supported...that is just what i did

I agree with zacdl. No need to sheet it unless you have a acrylic tank. If you insist on sheeting I would not use plywood coated with waterproofing. Plywood will bow and fall apart very easy if it gets wet at all. I used a special flooring they have out. It is waterproof and does not "swell up" I think it only comes in 1" thickness though. Lowes and HD prob do not carry it. You will have to go to a lumber/construction supplier.

Back
Top Bottom