What silicon to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pyrobocaj08

Aquarium Advice Regular
Be read everywhere on this forum to use GE silicon 1 when siliconing in your 3d aquarium background.. I ran to the store and bought this, after reading the instructions on the back(of course after I'm home) it says "not for use in aquariums." I'll try to post a picture below, but being a new guy here, I might run into problems.

image-2903972260.jpg

Welcome to the forum
I use marineland aquarium sealant for my tanks. It is totally safe an is only 9 bucks off amazon.
Chances are if it says that it is not for use in aquariums it is not fish safe.

Attachments

• image-2024378944.jpg
    image-2024378944.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 100

So that straight up says aquarium sealant.. Would they sell any of that in a hardware store? I feel it shoulda looked harder in Home Depot but the fiancé wanted to rush me out. Lesson learned lol.

Unfortunately it is highly unlikely that you will find this at a hardware store but I have heard of people using Gap (window and door I think). And that you should be able to find at a local hardware store. I would still do a little more research. Watch a video on how to make an aquarium and they should tell you what they use.

I've watched around YouTube and around on the forums here and normally just see that they use just the general word of "silicone."

I believe that GE silicone 1 window and door is in fact fish safe so next time you make a trip you may be able to find it. Also makes sure the color is what you desire like white or clear.

Window and door is the stuff I got and that's what I was reading on here from various forum members..

Be read everywhere on this forum to use GE silicon 1 when siliconing in your 3d aquarium background.. I ran to the store and bought this, after reading the instructions on the back(of course after I'm home) it says "not for use in aquariums." I'll try to post a picture below, but being a new guy here, I might run into problems.

It's completely safe after cured. They have to put that so they don't get sued when someone's 400g tank leaks all over their expensive wood floor.

I can't find anything that suggest that it won't work sooooo... Go for it but just don't forget how it says not for aquarium use. That isn't there just because it is there for some sort of reason.

It's completely safe after cured. They have to put that so they don't get sued when someone's 400g tank leaks all over their expensive wood floor.

Correct just a legality. GE 1 window and door is what seals my 125 and a lot of other tanks. Just as fish safe as the marineland stuff once it's cured.

Thanks a lot for the info. I plan on giving it plenty of time to cure, don't want to take any risks. Im gonna try to do it right the first time and only time. Maybe I'll throw in 1 or 2 feeders after I fill it and cycle it and see how they handle

Thanks a lot for the info. I plan on giving it plenty of time to cure, don't want to take any risks. Im gonna try to do it right the first time and only time. Maybe I'll throw in 1 or 2 feeders after I fill it and cycle it and see how they handle

That's what I'd did. Threw about a dozen feeders in with my already seeded filters for a few days and them put my cichlids in.

I just waited 24 hours because Im fishless cycling. So ill end up doing a few large water changes.

I just waited 24 hours because Im fishless cycling. So ill end up doing a few large water changes.

I plan on cycling fish less with the new tank, is there any differences? And what should I look for? Still new and learning :eek:

From what i have read from researching you want to look for three things when buying silicone for aquariums

1. 100% silicone
2. Acetoxy Cure
3. FDA approved for food contact

from what i read GE I meets these requirements, GE II has a different curing process and my not be fda approved.

The biggest mistake people make is not letting the silicone cure long enough. The thicker the silicone is applied the longer it will take to cure. ANY AMOUNT OF UNCURED SILICONE CAN KILL OFF LIVESTOCK. 24 hours is the minimum amount of time you should let it cure. Some people will say to let ge silicone cure for 1-2 weeks just to be on the safe side.

DOW 795 is what i have heard is the best to use. IIRC they said dow claims a 2 week cure time though

From what i have read from researching you want to look for three things when buying silicone for aquariums 1. 100% silicone 2. Acetoxy Cure 3. FDA approved for food contact from what i read GE I meets these requirements, GE II has a different curing process and my not be fda approved. The biggest mistake people make is not letting the silicone cure long enough. The thicker the silicone is applied the longer it will take to cure. ANY AMOUNT OF UNCURED SILICONE CAN KILL OFF LIVESTOCK. 24 hours is the minimum amount of time you should let it cure. Some people will say to let ge silicone cure for 1-2 weeks just to be on the safe side. DOW 795 is what i have heard is the best to use. IIRC they said dow claims a 2 week cure time though

Thanks for such the informative answer!!

Is this the correct silicone?

Attachments

• image-3077588624.jpg
    image-3077588624.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 62
as long as its GE silicone 1 (not 2)...then yes it is safe. i myself pieced my current 55g refugium together with GE 1 and ive never had an issue. also it is worth mentioning that there is a TON of algae growing over the silicone seams....so i know without a doubt that GE1 is good to use.

Back
Top Bottom