What to do with the gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arwai

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning everyone. Still a newbie around here. I bought my first 30 gallon tank on craigslist that came with pebble/gravel substrate. Its very beautiful and smooth, but I am planning to use black tahitian moon sand in my tank as substrate, along with flourite. I didn't want to just toss the gravel so I figured I would see if anyone had any DIY suggestions for the gravel. I think I saw a link to a tutorial on how to make a pebble/gravel cave out of substrate but have not been able to find it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I dump all old gravel and stuff I get off craigslist on the side of my house where my garbage cans sit. Keeps the weeds from growing and is a multitude of colors.

As a thrifty (cheapskate) hobbyist I hate throwing out anything that I c an possibly use somewhere else. That being said, I would hate it more if there was something in the gravel that would harm or kill my livestock. Therefore, I NEVER use any gravel or sand from an unknown source. You never know if there are any harmful bacteria, cleaning agents, chemicals or whatever in it. I use the stuff I get to line my sidewalk edges around the night lighting.

You can sterilize the gravel. Soak it in a bleach/water solution. Just rinse it very well. You can also boil it on the stove for 15 minutes, let cool, and rinse. To make caves you just need some aquarium safe silicon. You can use pvc pipe, plastic pill bottles, or any plastic container that is aquarium safe. Coat item with
silicone and roll in the gravel and let it cure.

Old gravel makes good drainage gravel for flower pots. You can put it around flowers to act as mulch. Make a draft guard for a door by sewing a tube out of fabric and fill with gravel. So many uses.

Back
Top Bottom