Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Visionist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 200
What to do with this uneven rimless stand

I'm more or less at my wits end with this stand situation. I bought a fluval flex 15g rimless tank and needed a suitable stand. I set out to build one and I've run into an issue, the plywood for the top(which is 3/4 inch thick) has a bit of a bow in the center. I really don't have the equipment or time to attempt to sand it down to be perflectly flat. I've built stands before with no issues, but never for a rimless tank. The tank came with a 3-4mm thick black foam that is fairly squishy
What should I do? The gap from the plywood appears to be around 1-2mm, it's hard to tell quite exactly
Would I be better off chucking some MDF on top of the plywood since MDF is about as flat as it gets?

Would high density(pink) foam solve this? However people say its too rigid for rimless

Should I just burn the tank and the stand and walk into a busy street?

Note: The plywood top has not yet been glued/screwed to the stand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	317442   Click image for larger version

Name:	stand2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	317443  

__________________

__________________
Visionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 14,600
Keep the tank and stay out of busy streets!!!

Don't you just hate this sort of thing?

Personally I would sand it a little if you could (take it to someones house and use their sander or a nice rubber sanding block), or just try and pick a less bowed piece of would this next time.

Are you meaning add MDF board on top of this board already on it?? Or replace the top board?

Congrats for having the wherewithal to build a stand in the first place!
__________________

__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Visionist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Keep the tank and stay out of busy streets!!!

Don't you just hate this sort of thing?

Personally I would sand it a little if you could (take it to someones house and use their sander or a nice rubber sanding block), or just try and pick a less bowed piece of would this next time.

Are you meaning add MDF board on top of this board already on it?? Or replace the top board?

Congrats for having the wherewithal to build a stand in the first place!
Unfortunately this was the absolute best piece of wood I could find. The humidity here warps everything. Im considering at this point maybe using an epoxy liquid compound to put a small layer on top of the plywood to create a perfectly even surface, before this I will likely try flattening the wood using water and heat.
__________________
Visionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 159
Hello, if all your looking for is something to support center I would use joint compound. The stuff they use to fix dry wall. Comes on little tubs & easy to sand. You could use some type of straight edge to level out. Hope this helps!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I'm more or less at my wits end with this stand situation. I bought a fluval flex 15g rimless tank and needed a suitable stand. I set out to build one and I've run into an issue, the plywood for the top(which is 3/4 inch thick) has a bit of a bow in the center. I really don't have the equipment or time to attempt to sand it down to be perflectly flat. I've built stands before with no issues, but never for a rimless tank. The tank came with a 3-4mm thick black foam that is fairly squishy
What should I do? The gap from the plywood appears to be around 1-2mm, it's hard to tell quite exactly
Would I be better off chucking some MDF on top of the plywood since MDF is about as flat as it gets?

Would high density(pink) foam solve this? However people say its too rigid for rimless

Should I just burn the tank and the stand and walk into a busy street?

Note: The plywood top has not yet been glued/screwed to the stand
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,433
You have to seal the wood on both sides or it will continue to deflect. Try painting the bottom first and it should lift, paint the top after it corrects. Additional coats will help. Use a yoga matt under the rimless tank..
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Visionist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j.gomez View Post
Hello, if all your looking for is something to support center I would use joint compound. The stuff they use to fix dry wall. Comes on little tubs & easy to sand. You could use some type of straight edge to level out. Hope this helps!!!!!
Hmmm that gives me the idea to try this, which appears to be more of a specialty made product that is similar https://www.homehardware.ca/en/378l-floor-leveler/p/1627760
__________________
Visionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Hmmm that gives me the idea to try this, which appears to be more of a specialty made product that is similar https://www.homehardware.ca/en/378l-...eler/p/1627760
I'll have to keep that in mind if I run into a similar situation. Thanks!!!!!
__________________

__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rim, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diy stand finished , uneven water level help? Pau1parker DIY Projects 9 02-10-2015 02:43 PM
ahh! uneven floor = uneven tank! Paulcm10 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 31 04-15-2012 11:52 PM
Uneven floor.... Is my tank safe? Meaile Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 19 06-21-2005 06:44 AM
Uneven tank stand question... Sara Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 12-13-2004 08:41 PM
Worried about tank being uneven... Punkymom Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 9 08-22-2003 08:39 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.