Will be building a DIY LED for my tank shortly. Anyone have any tips for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criason

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I typed up a big informative post here earlier today and it blew up and vanished when I went to post it. Here is the quicker version.

39 gallon (30x12x24 high) Have pressurized CO2 and ferts.

4 strand of LED - 1 cool white , 1 strand royal blue, 1 strand of warm white. I have 1 extra channel I can control so what would be best?

48V powersupply should handle up to 14-15 LED's per strand depending on forward voltage.

Makers LED 24" heat sink

4 meanwell 1000mA drivers (only reason to go less mA is if LED cant handle the 1000mA, correct?

Typhon controller.

Everything is going to come from LEDgroupbuy when I place my order.

I am not sure about the DIY lights but I did find a cheap led light kit from Home Depot ($17.00) it was 4 12" strips. Comes with all you need. Plug and go. I made a little fixture out of styrofoam and wood to see how well it would light up my 10g. Works perfect. I know it's not what you asked but it's a really cheap alternative. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392295380.414734.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392295433.642423.jpg

It was cheap and easy. That works for me every time. I didn't have a light for my small tank and I found this and couldn't turn it down. I would imagine it would work for plants in a smaller tank that isn't too deep. It is bright all the way to the bottom.

Yeah the depth is my biggest issue with this tank. being twice as tall as it is wide it is tough to decorate and light. There is no room to put more than 1 light fixture on the tank. It also has made it difficult to build depth into the landscape of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom