Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Will my sump design work?

I just picked up a 90 gallon aquarium and it came with a sump setup for SW with a skimmer and I think it would be easier to start over rather than reconfigure it. I'm using a 20 gallon aquarium because unless I make one myself that's all that will fit in my stand. As of right now we are planning on a simple community tank.

Hopefully I will be able to post a pic since this is my first post. I may not though. So my tank is 30"x12"x12" basically. Starting on the left I have the tank draining into a 6" with 2 types of Puro-clean filter media. Going under a baffle into 6" chamber of bio filter (lava rocks), flowing up over a weir into another bio filter chamber (not sure what to use), down then up over another weir into a 10" chamber with the pump and heaters.

How does this sound? I have 2" gaps under the baffles for flow is that too much? What other bio-media should I use? Any suggestions?
Thank you for your help.
Donovan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161115_234536.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	291034  

Old 11-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Looks sound. Was not familiar with the mechanical filter media until I Googled it (the blue and white stuff similar to the DLS in the old wet-dry trickle filter days).
As long as it is easy to remove and clean without dumping its contents when you lift it.
For the third chamber you could add ceramic media in a nylon bag, one or more sponges, or reserve it for chemical filtration as needed (such as Chemi-pure).
Have you decided on a return pump yet?

Old 11-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about ceramic media in the third chamber. I would probably do 4 separate bags that way they could be swapped out a couple at a time as needed or swapped out for chemical media. I'm planning on the same for the lava rocks. I hope the filter media works well. If not it wasn't too spendy so it won't hurt too badly.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #4

Oh and for pump I went with this one. I know it's bit much but it's adjustable so I figured why not.

Active Aqua Submersible Water Pump, 1000 GPH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049XENYS..._ZWplybQNYSNND
Old 11-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Baffles are overrated IMO especially in fresh water...
I use mechanicals first and then sponges for bio.[period]
Make sure you pump compartment is as large as possible or you may have little room for evap ....
20 g sump with overflow baffles leaves you 4-6 gallons at best in pump area and only 2-4 usable before bubble city from pump cavitation ....
Use a ball or gate valve after pump on return line to control flow...
Although you should be able to run the pump all out .
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #6

Do you think I should just stick with one chamber for bio then? The pump is variable I was going to try and adjust it to about 600gph. That seems to be the rule of thumb for FW. From my little research I have done so far anyway. 😂
Old 11-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #7

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to increase the size of the first bio chamber and get rid of the second one entirely and use that extra space for the pump sump?
Old 11-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanJM View Post
Do you guys think it would be a good idea to increase the size of the first bio chamber and get rid of the second one entirely and use that extra space for the pump sump?

Considering there was a question initially about what to put in the third section, perhaps merging it with the last section as you (and bandit) suggested would be best.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Considering there was a question initially about what to put in the third section, perhaps merging it with the last section as you (and bandit) suggested would be best.
It was bandit's suggestion that made me think of that. I think I'll try that. I can always stack different bio media in the one chamber if I decide I need a different type. Thanks for the help!

Tags
design, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com