woodcatl493's First DIY Stand: 55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok cool. I'm going to keep it natural. I think my parents would like it that way too.
I didn't know top layers of wood would (ba dum tss) absorb the water and keep anything else from coming in! I thought that was only if you painted it or did something else like that to it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol yeah something like that. Go back and read what I wrote.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With the money save by using regular wood I'd recommend making a stand for the 25 also. I wouldn't trust what you have it on now. Without support on the corners the chances of the tank breaking is so much higher.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah. I think that's a good idea too. I'm not comfortable with it on a desk...
Oh Ruutah, it says yep. Oops. ???

Quick question, how deep should the soil substrate be, then the gravel substrate, then how deep should the whole thing be?

Here is the substrate:
Looks at little bit like pool sand...

Attachments

• 1469739086406.jpg
    1469739086406.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 1469739119047.jpg
    1469739119047.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 191
And I think I heard you're not supposed to use carbon in your filter for a planted fish tank... Is this true?

Anyone know how to stain wood? I'm going to paint/stain it to about an oak color. Could anyone recommend anything? I don't know if I'm painting or stunning or anything.

And I think I heard you're not supposed to use carbon in your filter for a planted fish tank... Is this true?

It supposedly adsorbs nutrients that the plants can use. Not sure how valid that is, but carbon can exhaust itself pretty quickly so it may be a moot point. Typically it is best used for removing medicines and toxins.
For water clarity, Purigen is a great product that is has been reported to not remove plant nutrients/fertilizers.

Anyone know how to stain wood? I'm going to paint/stain it to about an oak color. Could anyone recommend anything? I don't know if I'm painting or stunning or anything.

I usually apply stain with a paint brush or paint sponge and then wipe off the excess with a clean piece of cloth (e.g. - old t-shirt).
It's best to test it out on a spare piece of wood or in an inconspicuous spot first. Allow proper ventilation and use drop cloths.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stain is best done with a sponge or foam brush. Use disposable gloves and do it out on the grass. As drips can stain concrete as well.

YouTube is your friend here for a demonstration on it. Or if Home Depot is close enough check to see if they have any workshops on painting and staining. They're usually on Saturday mornings.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, when I looked it up on YouTube that's the general idea of staining. Then I'll just do that.
What should I look for when shopping for stains? Other than preferred color?

Alright people, I have my list of supplies. Finally this inactive thread is back. Ignore the previous post. I have done my research and know what I'm doing.

50 FT. of Spruce-Pine-Fir Lumber: $15.90
3M Sandpaper Pack (9005NA): $3.37
Minwax Satin Helmsman 1 Gallon: $46.48
Minwax Water Based Wood Stain 1 QT. (4): $41.88
Trylon Flat Cut Synthetic Paint Brush: $10.97

Total: $118.60

All prices are from Home Depot. The price is a sub-total. I will be mixing to a maple/oak color in store.

So, I've just found out I won't be able to do this project until the next time it gets warm. Fall is approaching and soon it's going to be too cold for me to stain and urethane the stand.
You can imagine how I feel, having this idea a few months ago and now I'm going to have to wait. [emoji35] It's been more than a year since we got the fish tank too.
Being in high school doesn't make it easier either. Only until that is over can I fully invest my time in this. Priorities.
I also feel terrible making all of you wait for this, since this thread was started a while back and it's pretty much inactive now...
Man, it'll be worth it having to wait almost two years for it. The end result will keep me happy for longer. If there's anyway I can get this done in a cold garage in the middle of the winter please, don't hesitate to enlighten me.
Basically no one that I need to get this done has any time to help me. Like, the purchase of materials and the transport of ten foot lumber. I don't have a car to fit that in, nor could I drive one either.
So, if anyone has been watching this thread or is just looking for the first time, it'll happen. Not now. Just follow it.
Thanks for your patience guys and/or gals.
I will be active on the forum though, so not completely stopping temporarily.
If you made it this far, thanks. I had lots to say and really didn't organize it. [emoji23] I will update you if anything good turns up. Patience, people. I don't have enough of it.

Lol since you started this thread I've picked up 4 55's and I'll be picking up another tomorrow afternoon.

You have more patience than I air. To be fair I'm not bugging anyone other than my wife with them But hey... :D

Keep the faith. You seriously could knock out the cutting and build in a Saturday. Sand that night and stain the next day. Other option is to make a room in your garage by hanging a tarp or two. (don't use moms blankets) and a small space heater to warm the area. Leave a hole in an opposite corner to ventalate the area and convection should handle the ventilation.

Oh, cool! 4 55 gallons!? Nice!

Yeah, I've thought the same way a few times. My patience hasn't been proved until now. As a kid, I wanted everything yesterday and I still do now. ? But waiting for these things I want, even for months at a time, has helped with that.
Yeah, I think that even though this is my first stand I've had time to plan and I can get the actual building done in a few hours. It's the staining part that's holding me back.
I like your idea of setting up a little tent for it. But, I don't know if we'll have time to get any. It's more like this is so boring to my parents... ?

Ah, just going to have to see what's going to happen.

Well I'm sorta having the same issue. I have a 120g tank that I got from a friend and they cracked it in the move so I had needed up getting my self a new tank and now the stand is bowed and I have to build my own...

This whole thing just makes the idea seem farther than reality than before... I even counted how many screws I would need!

Okay guys, we're back in business! Today it's almost 50 F and I'm on winter break... I've waited so long to start! I only have two weeks though, so I'm going to make the most of the 5 days I have of "warm" weather.

So far I have ordered a new starter for my light fixture, ordered new lights, and I'm going to clean the tank today.

Back
Top Bottom