wrong silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackk1992

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think I used the wrong silicone in my tank, just round the base. Only now I have learnt there are different types I have found out there is fungicides in the silicone I used.

What should I do?

The tank already has all the substrate and sand in and I have had plants in it for a few days now

To be honestly, there isn't a huge amount in it and its a 132L tank

To be honestly, there isn't a huge amount in it and its a 132L tank

Over time that silicone is going to poison your fish. No matter how much water is in the tank remember they breath the water do over time it's going to affect them.

If you get a good scraper and clean it out and reseal it you should be fine. I know it's a pain but as a hobbyist it's your job to make your fish happy and healthy.

Yeah..good point...just annoying that I've got it all set up now and probably won't get the substrate and sand to separate probably when removing it from the tank.

Any tips on the best way to do this?

Find a course screen and a cheap plastic tote foe the dollar store. Put screen on to scoop out substrate the rinse off. Should separate it fine enough to use again.

Ive emptied the tank too start work on removing the silicone

When removing my sand and plant substrate from the bottom though its now basically just become one big soily sand mix. Trier my best to keep it separate.
Will it be okay to put back in or will the soil parts on the surface affect the fish?

Don't want to make any more mistakes setting up this time

Back
Top Bottom