Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to LAGlocker Send a message via Yahoo to LAGlocker
BigAls

Well got my first order from BigALs today. Have recieved very good customer service from them the two times I called them. Order was recieved in excellent shape and in only two days, so I was very suprised.Over all I had a good experience and will use them again.

Sold all tanks but
29 gal planted(lightly) tank now with 10 neons, 9 serpae tetras, 4 otos, 2 kribs and 3 gourami for the moment.
LAGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I've been happy with their service as well. They also carry some items that you can't find anywhere else. I order primarily from www.drsfostersmith.com because their pricing is usually better and they are closer to me so my order arrives sooner.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

these guys are having free shipping until monday with small orders also! great company and will match any price.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had nothing but good things to say about them, and great experiences!

Some company in Canada has claims to have copyrighted "Aquarium Supply" and several other phrases. now when you search for "Aquarium supply" on Google, Big Als doesn't come up! Select "read the DMCA complaint" at the bottom.

How do you copyright "aquarium supply"? That's stupid. It's like copyrighting "Grocery Store". Sheesh.
3 x 20G Freshwater Barbs, Mollies, and Platys
1 x 10G Spawning <chica boom chica boom boom>
Crusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I made my first purcahse from them durring there free shipping could not belive how fast they shiped went back and bought more from them still with the free shipping. They treated me right so I wanted to treat them right.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheitman
I've been happy with their service as well. They also carry some items that you can't find anywhere else. I order primarily from www.drsfostersmith.com because their pricing is usually better and they are closer to me so my order arrives sooner.
Pricing is better? Big Al's will beat the price by 5%. BTW, I do shop at www.drsfostersmith.com sometimes too. But lately doing most of my shopping at Big Al's.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to LAGlocker Send a message via Yahoo to LAGlocker
Well since I wrote this post the first time, I have ordered and recieved another order with them, this time got a 130 watt cf light, some timers, and some other items. had to have them shipped from two different locations, but both arrived in a few days with no problems. they even called me the day i recieved it to make sure I had, because I had called them a day or so before hand asking about the shipping information. thats what I call customer service.

Sold all tanks but
29 gal planted(lightly) tank now with 10 neons, 9 serpae tetras, 4 otos, 2 kribs and 3 gourami for the moment.
LAGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Christmas season must be in force now. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Big Al's on Wed, and I just not got the confirmation that it's being shipped. And yes, I did a major purchase, not just a couple items. That's 5 days. But I'm sure that will be expected from now until the holidays are over.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I agree. Big Als has great customer service, low prices, and fast shipping.

2.5 gallon saltwater tank

Two 1 gallon bowls with Bettas
Perfectblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
These guys are good. I have purchased filters bags, a ehilm filter, a RO water system and otehr various things from them. Besides puttign too much money into my tanks I have only good things to say about these guys.

I had a question about my RO system and could nto get the people at coralife to even talk to me on the phone. But I called the people at big al's and they talked to me fast and helped me figure out what was goign on with the system. SO they have people who have some experience and they are friendly.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #11

I happen to live 20 minutes from the only brick and mortar Big Al's in the entire US!! I freakin LOVE this store!! It is amazing to say the least......I buy all of my equipment as well as livestock from them.

(Big Al's is a franchise and the guy that owns the store has aquired all of the rights to the name here in the US. He is planning on expanding into different states.)
Old 05-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #12

Sorry, I disagree. I ordered some things (flourish, an algae cleaner, thermometer) from BigAls. Took nearly two weeks to receive and the algae cleaner was broken. Called them that day - got a nice person. Now, nearly a month after the order, no replacement.
I've written twice and been told, well sorry. They shipped the replacement (and they broke the original - not shipping) by USPS!
Poor customer service, in my experience. Very slow shipping. The bummer is that they have some sizes of Seachem products I've not seen elsewhere. However, my money goes where I'm happy and I'm NOT happy with BigAls.
4 discus, 5 clown loaches, 4 oto cats, 3 SAE's, 1 gold nugget pleco (L177), 1 clown pleco, java fern, vallisneria gigantea rubra, amazon sword, anubias nana, bacopa, crypts and a HUGE anubias! 130w Aqualight 6700k PC, Co2 injected
65g: Magawi cichlid
6 cichlids, 1 common pleco 8", 2 synodontis cat, plastic plants, anacharis, amazon sword. 36w single tube.
29g: community
2 dwarf gourami, 1 King Tiger pleco (L066), 2 discus, 1 BN plec, 1 long-fin golden ram, 3 clown loaches, vals, amazon and african sword, anubias nana. 65w 6700k Aqualight 6700k PC, DIY Co2 (testing)
20g: guppy
otos, bn plec (tiny), many guppies (for babies to feed the cichlids!), anubias, anacharis, yellowstripe, the list goes on.... 30w 6700k
10g: QT & plant
anubias nana, anacharis, dwarf vals. 96w Aqualight 6700k
NorCalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #13

After nearly one month from order date, I received the replacement part today for my order - AND IT'S THE WRONG PART.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I've contacted Big Al's twice by email and once by phone.
Unreal. Despite the fact that they had plenty of opportunity to make it right, they screw it up a second time. I'm already never doing business with these people again, so my business is going elsewhere. I'm just relating the story to others, so if you know you need something (need it, like I did), then you might read this and shop elsewhere!
Just unreal.
4 discus, 5 clown loaches, 4 oto cats, 3 SAE's, 1 gold nugget pleco (L177), 1 clown pleco, java fern, vallisneria gigantea rubra, amazon sword, anubias nana, bacopa, crypts and a HUGE anubias! 130w Aqualight 6700k PC, Co2 injected
65g: Magawi cichlid
6 cichlids, 1 common pleco 8", 2 synodontis cat, plastic plants, anacharis, amazon sword. 36w single tube.
29g: community
2 dwarf gourami, 1 King Tiger pleco (L066), 2 discus, 1 BN plec, 1 long-fin golden ram, 3 clown loaches, vals, amazon and african sword, anubias nana. 65w 6700k Aqualight 6700k PC, DIY Co2 (testing)
20g: guppy
otos, bn plec (tiny), many guppies (for babies to feed the cichlids!), anubias, anacharis, yellowstripe, the list goes on.... 30w 6700k
10g: QT & plant
anubias nana, anacharis, dwarf vals. 96w Aqualight 6700k
NorCalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I ordered from Al's last Friday for the first time (read June 30th), and I expect my shipment to arrive this morning (July 7th). That is only 4 business days (UPS is closed on the 4th of July BTW) to ship from Niagara, NY to Green Bay, WI (and the order didn't leave until Wednesday! Their customer service has been excellent so far, and they did the full price match as well. I can't wait to start setting up my 75g!

To note though: when you price match, you have to pay the "other" site's shipping price. For the most part, the 5% difference offsets this, but hey, you do want to save as much as possible, right? I will followup to let you know if everything arrived ok...
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We've primarily been using Bigal's for years with never a complaint, never had a problem that was their fault or that they didn't handle well and fast.
The only time I use someone else is when Bigal's doesn't stock what I want.

BigAl's gets my 100% satisfaction rating!

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #16

If you happen to live here in South Florida and want to swing by Big Al's to buy something, here's a hint:

Look it up on their website first and print out the page where the price is listed. If it is more expensive in the store, they will match their web price. They also take off money for shipping.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

We have a Big Al's in London, but I still use the online, cheap, shipped fast, and not on the other side of town

Love em!
J

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com