Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2002, 04:31 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Petco

in a town about a hour from me (alton, IL), there is a new Petco and a friend of mine told me they have saltwater. i think it is good because of the low prices.(ocellaris clowns for 8 bucks, yellow tangs for 18) i also think it is a bad thing because i think it will hurt some good lfs. what do you guys think of this major chain taking on saltwater.

Old 11-22-2002, 04:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

that is yellow tangs for 18 bucks
Old 11-22-2002, 05:33 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I think you'll find some mixed responses. I personally do not like the large chain pet stores, taking on any life form. The reason is the availability of good help. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a good LFS start to decline when the business picks up, and the owners/management are forced to hire inexperienced help, for low pay. In the lage chain stores, it is more common than most small LFS. I know several people that have good S/W sections in their local Petco, but that doesn't appear to be the norm. Let us know how their stock looks in a month or so...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

will do. i plan to visit soon. just to check it out.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:50 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

i found this on the petco website.
Quote:
At PETCO, animals come first. Since our first store opened in 1965, PETCO has endeavored to be a community leader in promoting the welfare of companion animals, as well as the importance and value of the human-animal bond. An integral part of our mission is to provide a safe, healthy and humane environment for the future pets in our stores - setting the example for our customers. To help us achieve that goal, we hire animal lovers, and coach and train them in proper animal care. The policies and procedures in place in our stores require strict adherence, and provide veterinary-approved guidelines for our associates to follow. Among those requirements are:
All animals must be treated humanely at all times. Failure to comply with PETCO's humane animal care policies will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
All animals must be attended to a minimum of three times per day. However, store staff are instructed to be sensitive to any additional care and attention needed.
Any animal suffering from any type of illness must be separated from other animals and taken to the store's veterinarian as soon as possible.
Fresh food and water must be available to all animals at all times.
Animal enclosures should contain appropriate toys to provide stimulation to active animals.
Employees are encouraged to use PETCO's anonymous Animal Care Hotline to report any non-compliance with our animal care policies, to help us ensure that all stores are following our strict requirements for proper animal care
Upon being hired, each new PETCO employee is trained in proper animal care via an extensive and thorough series of videos and supporting workbook. Additionally, new employees are required to read an informational manual covering care and handling of animals offered by PETCO, as well as our in-depth policies and procedures manual. This training is followed by a comprehensive exam.
Being a responsible retailer is tantamount to our mission. PETCO is in the business of selling selected companion animals to individuals seeking the positive experience that pets add to our lives, further promoting the value of the human-animal bond. Unlike many other retailers, we offer each customer considering a companion animal information that includes the amount of space and type of habitat needed for the animal throughout its life span, as well as the nutritional, exercise and social needs of the animal. These details help guide individuals in making appropriate decisions to ensure they select a pet conducive to their lifestyle. Educating prospective pet parents is the primary responsibility of our store associates.

At PETCO, we want to ensure that companion animals are in homes where responsible pet ownership is a realityÖand animals come first.
i found that interesting. maybe if we see the fish in poor care we can report it to the website. just a thought.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to SquishyFishy Send a message via Yahoo to SquishyFishy
I've been to the Petco in O'Fallon, IL, and they don't have any fish at all. However, their store actually STANK, horribly. I could only stay in there for about 10 minutes because it smelled so foul. I think it was because of the numerous ferrets they had there. I know ferrets can be quite stinky. Anyways, maybe this new petco in Alton will be different, who knows. (I sure hope so!)
Old 11-22-2002, 10:01 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I have, within the last month, been to two petco's. One was in Houston and the other was in Shreveport. In BOTH stores, the young women that worked in the fish departments were quite knowledgeable and conscientious. In fact, I have to say that they took a pride in their work and departments that I have never ever seen in Petsmart or my LFS. In one instance, I actually heard the manager of the fish department make a less costly, more appropriate recommendation to a customer that was willing to spend a bunch of money on something they did not need.

Both stores were spotlessly clean, all the departments, including reptiles, small animals and birds were well cared for.

I found it a pleasant surprise and a rarity in my part of the world.
My observations are that the words on the website, are truthful in their intent.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:13 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

thats good to hear. i hope the store in alton is the same.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I often shop at the Petco in Fairfax, VA and when I lived in Chantilly, VA I often went to the Petco there. Both these stores have sold saltwater fish as well as freshwater fish ever since I have known them to have fish. At one time about 2 years or so ago I know the Fairfax Petco didn't have fish.

For the most part their tanks are always clean and usually free of dead fish. These stores are very clean and odor free, even when they do have ferrets.

I think these stores are good for keeping the LFS' from having their prices too high. Where I live I can be at a Petco or a LFS within about 10 minutes and another LFS is only about 20 minutes away.

One thing I have noticed is that even the LFS' charge more for their fish than Petco, however the fish at the LFS' also seem to be of better quality than those at Petco. In addition the LFS' have much more different species than Petco.

I find that most of the people I talk to at the Petcos I visit or at the LFS' are knowledgeable and always helpful.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to SquishyFishy Send a message via Yahoo to SquishyFishy
I stopped by that same Petco in O'Fallon, IL, again yesterday, and the stench and the ferrets were gone. I guess that was what was causing it. They had replaced the ferrets with Guinea Pigs, maybe they had complaints, or maybe they just decided to get something else for a while, I don't know. All the animals that they had there were in clean cages and looked pretty decent.

Mike, do you know when the Petco in Alton is opening, or is it already open? I'd like to go check it out too.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:56 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmarda
For the most part their tanks are always clean and usually free of dead fish. These stores are very clean and odor free, even when they do have ferrets..
HEY! What is that supposed to mean? Ferrets only stink when a) they have not been neutered or b) they have irresponsible owners who do
not know how to care for them properly

Hara is owned by four, very adoreable, nonstinky, ferrets..Muse,Mikey,Loki and Shiva
Old 11-26-2002, 04:04 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

liz, the store in alton is already open.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:07 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Naperville/Aurora, IL

I have had very positive experiences with Petco. The people working in the fish department seem to be fairly knowledgeable. They aren't all perfect, but it's the same with my LFS. The prices are better, but the selection can be somewhat limited. No problems so far.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

We have quite a few petcos near by, like most big chains on anything it really depends on management and the people they hire, we have two that are less than 20 miles away and the two stores are completely different, both sell saltwater, one was clean but had few saltwater tanks, maybe 5 tanks total but the clown tank had several dead ones in there and when we told him about it, he just reached in with his hand and got them out and threw them away... Ok... anyways, the Petcos out here and Petsmarts allow you to bring your pets in the store, like dogs, so that could be another reason for "smells" the one nearest to us sells snakes, birds, chincillas and fish, both kinds. I probably wouldn't buy any fish from them but in a pinch we do buy fish products, they are pretty reasonable if you don't want to pay shipping for better prices on the net.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:37 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a shovelhead cat from them a while back and it is healthy and active. I also bought three of my clown loaches from them and they are also healthy and active. It probably depends on the management, but in my area they are good, and newly remodeled.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:31 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

petco

I have had good luck in phoenix, AZ. In the past is a different story, but I still have 6 out of 8 fish from them after 2 years. That is better than the pricey LFS. I wish they had a larger selection (inverts). I don't hesitate to compliment on the good condition of the tanks/stock.

Tags
petco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com