17 dead fish 3 seprut tanks all started from fish bought fron the same shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaymarie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My brother and sister in law wonted to treat there nephew to some new tropical fish for his birthday as well as get them selfs some new fish they bought
6 guppies 2m 4f
1sucker fish
2 balloon mollies
For my son and got them selves
5 rummy nose tetras
5 neon tetras
4 balloon Mollies
There tank has bin est for about 3years they have lost all neons and 2 rummys

We lost 2 guppies in are 60 ltr tank but we had bought a 165 ltr tank and cycaled it for 24 hr with old stones some of the water from other tank and all it's plants and fixtures witch it what it said to do on several websites and I ask some fellow fish keepers to we moved all are fish across witch was
5 neon tetras
4 rummys
2 catfish
2 sea through fish
And the list above we now have lost 10 fish in about 56hr
On nemurs phone calls to shop as I had no recite we had to w8 till this coming Friday for to meet in laws as they had recite well 2day I had enuf lost 5 so rang up the store and explained again the store asked for the body's and a water sample the sample did come bk slightly up altho we dis just ad 2 bits of bog wood not shore if that makes a diff as I an new to this my new black Mollie has White spot they are saying it's all down to the water I find this quite hard to belive as we did nothing diffrrent from are 1st tank plus my brother in law has kept tropical fish for 15-20 yrs we have also bin told that more than likely all are fish will die I'm so upset an so is my son please advise as I'm not shore what is right from wrong I thought I'd researched alot but now just left confused :(

Sorry about all your losses.
Sorry, I am a little confused.
The 5 neons, 4 rummies, 2 catfish, and 2 see-through fish are in your 165 liter tank, right?
What sizes are your brother's and son's tank? Is there anything else in them besides what you listed?
I don't see why all the fish would die. The old stones and water from your 60 liter tank were probably not enough to cycle the new tank. Transfering water doesn't really do anything for the cycle process. Can you check the water parameters yourself? I am assuming white spot means ich which is treatable with heat and epsom salt. :)

Okay first you need to get a test kit to be able to test the water yourself do not get test strips get a liquid kit like API master kit. It will save you lots of money on fish in the long run. what kind of filter do you have on the new tank? Is it the one from the old tank. How long had you had the old tank up and running?

I can guarantee you it is your water quality. Neon tetras and rummynose tetras are very sensative to water quality and if something is off they drop like flies. The whites spotting is called ick and also comes from poor water quality. Chances are you need to do some partial water changes and that your tank has not cycled. Seeding a tank with old media(adding the water rocks etc) does not guarantee an instant cycle in a day a week or even a month and you needed to make sure the tank was cycled before adding fish by checking the ammonia nitrates and nitrites.What was high in the tank? I need to know the ammonia nitrites and nitrates to help you.

Also im really not trying to be rude but please spell out words and try use full sentances. It makes the post easier to read so you will get more replies. Otherwise it could be hard to understand. Just trying to help. :)

I can guarantee you it is your water quality. Neon tetras and rummynose tetras are very sensative to water quality and if something is off they drop like flies.

+1

For every batch of rummies you buy, you can expect to lose a few, they are that sensitive. Neons carry neon tetra disease and have been extremely weakened as a species due to overbreeding.

I agree that it's most likely a water parameter issue.

Also, when you type, could you please do so in complete sentences. It's very difficult to read your post. Thanks.

I can only apologise if my sever dyslexia course you hardship reading my post thank you for ur help as I thought this was ment to be helpful not make ppl not won't to ask for advice so thanks

Wow..... :hide:

In order for us to help you, we have to be able to understand. I'm sorry if you took our suggestion the wrong way, but we're so used to seeing people using "text speak" here because they forget to type things out.

We want to help, really.

I have dyslexia and it has nothing to do with being dyslexic. Dyslexia has nothing to do with using abbreviations, numbers, and typing slang. I was only trying to help you get more replies and not rude in the slightest.

I understand that ppl using abbreviated words may annoying read some but most people in to days word you this form of righting in every day life face book text etc it Is even axsepted in some exams if I could understand how sentence are used I would pit it in a sentence I'm not affended by any thing you have said as you probably don't mean to mean to be rude just mayb a different generation i do how ever find it exstreamly rude when people comment on other people's spelling and grammar how ever I critasisum aside
I'm very grateful the help and advice you have given And am working on trying to save the last few fish I have with 50% water changes and food every other day witch is what the shop I got the fish from have suggested

Yeah sorry thought I'd put every other day for the water changes altho I'm a lil worried that my to cat fish ronnie and reggie will get hungry an eat the tetras as came down this morning to find one tetra half eaten

Eekk am i the older generation already I'm not even old enough to drink for a little while longer?! Haha but seriously believe me without spell check I'm a horrible speller and my grammar isn't good either, but bottom line I am glad you weren't offended its just that the people with the most experience have that experience because they are older and writing out people instead of ppl or broken instead of brkn might help them understand your problem better and get you the best help available to you here on AA.
But as it has been said the water changes will help and getting a test kit or finding out an exact reading for your nitrates nitrites and ammonia from a pet store until buying a kit is an option will help us pin point what is harming the fish and give you better advice

Sry for your losses it sux loosing fish, and yes catfish tend to swallow tetra while they sleep so I understand you being worried about feeding every other day but it'll help your water stay cleaner. May I ask what fish store your getting advise,and buying the fish from? Some stores take very little care of their livestock and may have already had ick when you bought them ;(

I got them from a garden centre I noticed the ick when we got home but thought maybe it was just his markings but still was unshore so looked it up and checked with garden centre when took the water up to make shore and they confermed it was ick I apreasheate the water is a factor but I really feel that we have bought a doggie batch of fish if that makes seances

A. Get good test kit
B. Ich is a PARASITE. Poor water quality or other issues stress fish which then are weaker and more prone to succumbing to Ich.
C. You need to keep water quality tiptop AND treat carefully to get rid of Ich.
D. Neons are super sensitive to Meds. Whatever you use to kill the Ich, you may need to use it half strength so you don't kill the Neons. Salt+heat is one method. Or you can buy OTC meds. Just read all directions. If it mentions Scaleless fish, add Neons to that warning.

GL. You are trying to Cycle a tank AND combat a parasite at the same time. You may want to return fish. Kill the Ich, then start over.

The store have said no point treating the Ick as the water level was slightly high and they only won't the body's of the fish not live ones just hate the fact we are constantly checking the tank for dead fish

At one point or another, we have all received really bad advice from the lfs. Ich can be cured if you intervene. If you do not, you will most likely lose all of your fish.

I don't no what to do one of my tetras has had babys there is loads if I do a water change I'll kill them HELLP

First and foremost: Take the fish back to the store. It doesn't matter what your pet store told you. They want to sell you as much stuff as they can and that means giving you poor advice so you'll go back and buy more.

If they won't take them back, find someone who will. A friend. A neighbor with a tank. Another pet store.

Your water quality is very poor and every minute more those fish are in your tank, they are suffering and are closer to death.

You will not kill the fish if you do a 50% water change. Doing a water change will help them by removing the bad water and replacing it with good water.

+1

I don't no what to do one of my tetras has had babys there is loads if I do a water change I'll kill them HELLP

When I had my kribs, I had fry all the time. And I would do 50% water changes weekly. I never once sucked up or killed a fry by doing it.

I'm telling you, you are getting horrible advice from your lfs. They don't deserve your business.

Back
Top Bottom