1950 Chevy pickup dilema...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am debating on whether or not to save this pickup that's been in my family for a long time. It holds a certain amout of sentimental value in my family and we'd like to restore the truck if it's not too involved.

It's a 1950 Chevy pickup that's been sitting outside for the better part of 30+ years. It has several bullet holes in it and the windshield, driver's window and rear window are all broken. There is sever rust on the floor boards. There is an engine but it's a replacement that sits next to the truck that never got installed. It's a three speed automatic on the column from what i've been told. I know it's very rough and needs a good amount of cash to restore (maybe 10k?).

img_572387_0_eca1f7100dbfd5493d652feb292abf12.jpg

img_572387_1_89d2318db8c5c8a393f25284f2b3a9a3.jpg

img_572387_2_c3baacb14241f7277373bbecda032b0a.jpg

img_572387_3_23f9c386989176c07bf9511d7ff9cfac.jpg

It's quite rough and i know it could probably be worse. But before i sink cash into this thing, i want to know exactly what i'm getting myself into. I know this is a wierd topic on a fish forum but i'll take advice where ever i can find it.

Hrm... I've heard a bit about this, my husband is interested although he doesn't have the cash or the knowhow to get into it.

Professional restorer services will do a better job but cost more than your typical mechanic.

Much of the cost depends on if you can still buy off-the-shelf parts for this model. Hand-machined parts get pricey.

If you can pick up the knowhow to do it yourself, you're more likely to get what you want out of the restoration.

I run an autobody shop and can give you tons of details if you need them. There are tons of options, it will become a labour of love and money. For rust repairs and structural repairs, have a professional do it. Remove the fenders, doors, dash etc if possible yourself to save money. Remove the door handles mirrors and exterior items before any priming and painting because if you tape them you run the risk of the paint peeling. Take out the seats if you can yourself to allow access to the floor and frame. Depending on your own abilities, the body should come off the frame, both should be sandblasted well to determine if there is any structural integrity to the metal. I could go on and on but won't LOL, pm me if you want with anything specific you would like info on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom