2 Bettas in a 0.5 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:(

Poor bettas. Bettas and goldfish really get hit hard. It's like a punch to the gut whenever I see a 7 year old swinging a goldfish in a bag in one hand and one of those neon pet carriers out of the store.

I think a 10g tank is a good minimum for a small fish.....

Just cause you can survive in a jail cell don't mean you should Live in there!!!!!!!!

i sadly must admit that i used to have one of these when i was in 5th grade... one of the bettas died but the other one i still have. he is 3 years old and in a 30 gallon tank with a couple mollies.

I know what you mean. A friend of mine told me that her daughter kept a betta in a small bowl but didn't understand about keeping the water clean so she said "But it lasted a few months" - I cringed thinking "Only a few months?? And she considered that a success??"

In the wild bettas can survive some pretty harsh conditions. This has allowed them to colonize habitats most fish can't live in. Unfortunately a lot of people take advantage of this ability, merchants and aquarists.

I used to have them in a gallon bowl, just one Betta at a time. Now Allie has a ten gallon all to himself. Never again will a Betta be in a bowl if I own it.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

My Gold fish died. I now have an empty 1.5 gallon bowl that is kind of useless. If I had an honest person selling me the fish I wouldn't have bought them. I feel bad that once I found out what they needed it was too late. My only comfort are my Cichlids. They are striving and I have learned in a short time what they need and like. I may have messed up with my Goldfish but at least I am doing the right thing now.

i ended up buying a betta from my sister because i felt so bad for it,she kept it in a half gallon vase and almost always forgot to feed it,and never changed its water.i couldnt save it though,it was too sick(no,i didnt leave it in the vase,i moved it too my 20 gallon)

I fantasize about vomitting all over those in my petco. Try selling 'em then! ;) muahahahaha

That would be epic, same thing at Walmart, rows upon rows of beta fish...in cups...

I just rescued one 2 days ago! It was either getting flushed, or going into one of those things. Now it's swimming happily in my 10 gallon. It always amazes me, the the rumors about bettas. When i was taking mine home, everybody was telling me "don't put that thing in a community tank, it's aggressive!" and I just nodded, but they don't get what great community fish they can be!

I'm not a fw person so i couldn't say. But what many of those stores do to livestock is sick.

I'm on my first tank right now. I got my six dalmatian mollies from my girlfriend, who kept them in a one gallon, neon-pink, Petco-branded plastic box.
The water was green and the fish were steadily declining in health.
They now live in a 30 gallon tank with excellent filtration and plenty more room to swim around in to make up for their cupboard of an original tank.
I've treated them of both freshwater velvet and a nasty fungal infection.
For being a beginner, and each molly being roughly one inch, I'd say that was a nice upgrade. ^^

I just rescued one 2 days ago! It was either getting flushed, or going into one of those things. Now it's swimming happily in my 10 gallon. It always amazes me, the the rumors about bettas. When i was taking mine home, everybody was telling me "don't put that thing in a community tank, it's aggressive!" and I just nodded, but they don't get what great community fish they can be!

They can be quite aggressive, but like anything its very dependent on the fish. I've had one I've kept in a tropical community tank for a little over 2 years. My grandmother recently bought one for her 20g tropical community and it killed her dwarf gourami and got one or two guppies before she returned it to the LFS.

They do have the potential to be aggressive and I think that needs to be taken into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom