2 wierd things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay a couple days ago i went to the apple orchard. i bought some apple cider. i drank about 1/2 of by the 2nd day and it was fine. the 3rd day after school i come home and i open it up, and there was quite a bit of pressure built up inside of it. when i opened it some air rushed out and then i smelled it. it smelled like a mix of apple cider and some sort of alcahol.... i dont understand how something can turn bad in about 18 hours

and the past few weeks while waiting for the bus, ive been looking around my driveway for something to kill my boredom. i looked at one of my mom's flowers, and there were like sleeping bees... i tried poking them a couple times with a stick and it kinda looked like they were drunk.. after a few days of the pokings i didnt see as many, and a couple days later i didnt see any on the flowers, but on one of my mom's trees. it was "drunk" like the rest of them.

any explanations?

The sugar and the fruit will ferment into alcohol.

I'm not sure how old you are, so as a SCIENCE EXPERIMENT, you can take a gallon of real apple cider, figure out a way to ferment it (no help from me on this one), and then freeze it. when it starts it will be around 4%. Get rid of the ice that forms. The stuff underneath is pretty strong, around 30% alcohol. I think it's known as "applejack", but I may be wrong on that one.

The good part is that you won't remember your name after drinking a good bit of it.
The bad part is that if you don't distill it, you may be ingesting methanol which can lead to blindness and death (much like a drinking a can of Fudd beer). Oops!

im 14 :) but if it ferments wont it ferment evenly? the day earlier it was fine..

Have some friends that do it with crabapple cider....hits about 50% alcohol after a couple of rounds in the lab freezer....pretty rough stuff....this is the same process by which 'ice wine' and 'ice beer' are made....pretty basic science. You can also see fermentation inside a Nutrafin CO2 unit....just simple yeast pee.

no methanol will be produced. That comes from the days when people would distill denatured alchohol for flavored spirits and mistakenly get the methynol instead of the ethynol out. thats bad but all you will create is a nice fortified spirit by letting apple cidar sit, its pleasantly fizzy too. if you distill it all you will get is the alchohol and very little of the flavor. reminds me that I should go pick up some apple cidar this weekend.

Its true. Distillation is potentially pretty hazardous, both in the propcedure and the product...illegal, too...nothing to be trying at home.

sure is unless you are one of the lucky people who live in New Zealand. I'm jelous we have to get a permit here in the states and can't produce more then a certain amount.

Cider Jack .... 5.99 a sixer at the local corner store! Good Stuff too!! Of course you only being 14 does you no good, but in 7 years at least you'll know the good stuff!

it went bad fast because it was fresh, no preservative laden stuff like is on the shelves at the store.

ts true. Distillation is potentially pretty hazardous, both in the propcedure and the product...illegal, too...nothing to be trying at home.

hehe, reminds me of some people I know who forgot to depressurize something while they were making moonshine and it ended up exploding. The windows in the basement were busted out and the walls were quite torn up. They couldn't call insurance either...

From what I've been told, the safest way is to heat the fermented liquid and collect the vapors into copper coils (not copper plated, but entirely copper) to rapidly cool the vapor back into a liquid. However, that requires quite the setup and the freezer method sounds pretty cool.

Oh, and never sell the end product. You could get into some nasty trouble :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom