75gal on the 4th floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Senjl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I really haven't thought about the weight of a filled 75gal aquariumm and sump tank and the relevancy of being on the 4th floor of an apt building. I have ensured eveything is sealed and leak free, but do I need to be concerned with the weight of the filled. 75gal sitting in the same position fpr a long period of time?
I have renters insurance to cover any issue that may happen but I just wondering should I be concerned?

Please provide input on this. Than you!

Make sure you have a shop vac...

You never know when that 75 gallons decides it doesn't want to be in the tank anymore.

No warning...No leaks...5 seconds from full to empty(75 gallons).

I can only imagine if it was an apartment below me and not my basement :nono:

Make sure your insurance covers damage to others people property as well(meaning everyone below).

Chance of it happening......Very slim. But, it can. Just be sure you have friendly neighbors below you :)

What kinda of apartment building is it?

How old?

Can you figure out which way the joists are going?

These are high end apartments and are newly constructed about 2yrs old, if that.
I am not sure how to find the hoist and I am not sure if the wall I am planning to put it against is a load bairing wall.

Nothing to worry about, a rider on your insurance would be a good idea. it will only be a few dollars and is good for Landlord relations if nothing else.

I cannot tell you how much better I feel obtaining suggestions/advise from all of you regarding my concern. Thank you!

I cannot tell you how much better I feel obtaining suggestions/advise from all of you regarding my concern. Thank you!

Good to hear you feel better about it.

I'd have to agree with everyone .. nothing to worry about ... but a rider on your renters insurance is a good idea. Not from the tank buckling through the floor ... I would think the floors of new construction apartment building should easily hold up the weight of up to 200gal aquarium. I would even guess the floors/ceilings may be made of concrete slabs instead of wood beams and floor boards.

The "bigger" concern would be the tank just bursting open:facepalm: ... as remote as it may seem ... it's always a possibility ... it's my biggest messy tank nightmare:eek:.

JColon you are right and that is my biggest nightmare as well. I had a 55 gal on a 2nd floor of an apt and really never thought about it but it is always a possibility. I hope and pray that would never happen but like u said u never know.
Thanks

You should be fine. But knowing the joist direction could be helpful, but in a newer building you shouldn't have to worry. Our house was built in 1905 and we got it as a foreclosed house that had been 3 apts. Knock on wood we haven't had any problems. It's old style hardwood ( no sub floor etc) but they are all across joists to distribute weight. 1 St floor we have a 140 in foyer, 90 and 20 in living room and 125 in dining room.

Back
Top Bottom