A "facepalm" moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my church is having vbs and they told the students that if they bring enough friends then one of the workers will eat a live goldfish (the number depends on the amount of guest). So I keep thinking about the fact that they bought 3 goldfish from a filthy nasty pet store (probably petsmart) and is going to eat it. Do they not realize what those fish carry? If it happens to have fish TB it could kill a person! And goldfish are poop machines!
Then to make it worse they are awaiting their doom in a tiny bowl that is already cloudy and nobody is changing it! AHHHH!!!!
Oh and another thought I just had. If the kids dont bring enough guest who has a pond for the goldfish?! :facepalm:

That's.. somewhat horrible. Eating a live goldfish doesn't seem like the nicest thing someone could do for a fish.. and you're right.. it's probably not healthy. At all..

Yuck!
That's horrible
You should tell them that the fish need a pond and can carry diseases that can kill people

Its a bit different. Clean already dead sushi versus live nasty disease ridden pet store goldfish....

Eh, sort of.

First, you'd have to assume that sushi is somehow 'cleaner' than a fish from an aquarium. How is sushi 'sanitized' exactly?

Sushi is made with all different kinds of aquatic life so there's really no way to say how 'clean' it is in a general sense. And with spoilage concerns in mind, a live fish is safer than a dead one.

We don't know the condition of the fish or even exactly where they are coming from, so it's just speculation. There could be a debate on whether petsmart or whatever pet store really has disease infested dirty water tanks or not also. How do you know they have diseases? Disease ridden fish don't usually live long, and these businesses (for the most part) are not going to sit and let their stock die constantly because of disease. They pay for this stuff to sell it, so its like product in the trash can.

I've worked with and been in many many many LFS and while I've seen my share of atrocities, they tend not to be the chain ones. Even if it were, does it make it any better if they get them from a well maintained LFS instead?

Glow in the dark sushi made from genetically modified fish becomes the latest food craze across America | Mail Online

I think it's a fratboy-esque thing to do by your church group, maybe you could voice your concerns and see if they'll do some other stunt? I hope you channel the frustration into that because it might have a positive result.

bigbanker said:
Eating a live animal seems incredibly unholy...

+1 what modern religious institute will use eating something love as a way to attract more people? -_-

Yeah.. isn't it against most religion? Whatever happened to "love all creations and life" etc..?

Petstores also use a slew of chemicals not designed for human consumption.

Yeah.. isn't it against most religion? Whatever happened to "love all creations and life" etc..?

Let's not get religion involved in this discussion please. If you want to discuss the apologetics aspect of this topic though feel free to PM me and I'll answer your question.

Petstores also use a slew of chemicals not designed for human consumption.
So now they are using a slew of chemicals? I thought the fish were diseased and in dirty water? Again another assumption about a LFS and we aren't even sure which one these fish are coming from. Isn't it a little unfair to claim that this LFS has diseased fish and dirty water and also that they use a slew of chemicals when we don't even know which one it is?

The problem with threads like these is not the subject, because you have a great subject going, but the bashing is unnecessary and obviously not factual since we don't even know where these fish are coming from.

I agree with you on that its a dumb idea but I don't want to see this as a platform to bash a LFS that may or may not even be involved.

Sorry Jeta, it was the first thing I thought when I first saw the thread, probably coulda kept that one to myself. :p

I mean, if the employee ends up going for it, and then gets sick, you can always say 'I told you so.' it's a horrible way to think about it but no one who knew of it would ever try the same stunt? If you can't prevent it, and the person won't listen, then you just have to watch for the outcome.

Let's not get religion involved in this discussion please. If you want to discuss the apologetics aspect of this topic though feel free to PM me and I'll answer your question.

So now they are using a slew of chemicals? I thought the fish were diseased and in dirty water? Again another assumption about a LFS and we aren't even sure which one these fish are coming from. Isn't it a little unfair to claim that this LFS has diseased fish and dirty water and also that they use a slew of chemicals when we don't even know which one it is?

The problem with threads like these is not the subject, because you have a great subject going, but the bashing is unnecessary and obviously not factual since we don't even know where these fish are coming from.

I agree with you on that its a dumb idea but I don't want to see this as a platform to bash a LFS that may or may not even be involved.
I am not trying to bash however I have 2 reasons for saying this. 1 our petsmarts do use a vunch of chemicals needed or not. That is what they told me anyway unless I remember incorrectly. Also they have overstocked tanks that usually do carry diseases.
I dont mean to bash but we are not like some of the other members on here who got good petsmarts. Ours have nice enough employees and the fish are usually in ok condition but they know next to nothing about fish.
I agree I dont want this to be about bashing the chains though. ALL petstores have alot of diseases in the tank (why we use QT) but alot keep the fish healthy enough so that the fish's immune system resist the disease.

ALL petstores have alot of diseases in the tank (why we use QT) but alot keep the fish healthy enough so that the fish's immune system resist the disease.

I agree with your response up until this point. I don't believe that ALL petstores have alot, or any diseases in their tanks. I've been to some pet stores that do, but most do not have any that I've seen. Again, it would not make much business sense to allow disease to run rampant in your stock tanks.

I use QT as a precaution in the event that I got a diseased fish (and with wild fish because they often carry parasites), but I don't QT because I think that all of the stores are disease infested.

I do agree that healthy fish are less susceptible to these issues, but it does not mean that there is disease just ever-present in the water.

I agree with your response up until this point. I don't believe that ALL petstores have alot, or any diseases in their tanks. I've been to some pet stores that do, but most do not have any that I've seen. Again, it would not make much business sense to allow disease to run rampant in your stock tanks.

I use QT as a precaution in the event that I got a diseased fish (and with wild fish because they often carry parasites), but I don't QT because I think that all of the stores are disease infested.

I do agree that healthy fish are less susceptible to these issues, but it does not mean that there is disease just ever-present in the water.
I may have misunderstood something then. I was under the impression that all tanks even ours at home had diseases in it. I know ich is like that but I assumed others were too. Sorry.
I think we are really on the same page for the most part.

I'm not a biologist. I've seen some arguments about ich also, and I tend to lean in the direction that it's not ever-present in water either. I've not found anything about ich having a dormant/spore stage and then later becoming active once a host arrives. They are an obligate parasite.

Have a read at this link, its really informative. That entire site is. Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist

I'm not a biologist. I've seen some arguments about ich also, and I tend to lean in the direction that it's not ever-present in water either. I've not found anything about ich having a dormant/spore stage and then later becoming active once a host arrives. They are an obligate parasite.

Have a read at this link, its really informative. That entire site is. Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist
Ok I see. So that is not necesarrily the case. I think we are on the same page completely now lol

Ok I know this is wrong and don't judge but I've swallowed a goldfish before and i'm not dead yet, they do it all of the time at a bar down here at the lake.

But please don't take my comment as an ok to go swallow a fish, mine was a not very well thought out moment and I can't condone people running around eating goldies

Ok I know this is wrong and don't judge but I've swallowed a goldfish before and i'm not dead yet, they do it all of the time at a bar down here at the lake.

But please don't take my comment as an ok to go swallow a fish, mine was a not very well thought out moment and I can't condone people running around eating goldies
lol I ate a live minnow but it was wild and so hopefully without chems and such.
My problem is that yea people eat the goldies (I know people who have as well) but it only takes 1 time to eat one with TB before you are seriously ill or dead.

Back
Top Bottom