A simple solution to Swim Bladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I came across this today and thought that it was the coolest thing ever for a Goldfish.
goldfish-wheelchair-592x388.jpg

The fish has what seems to be a swim bladder problem and instead of letting nature take it's course the owner has built what they call an aquatic "wheelchair". It helps the fish from flipping over all of the time.
There is a video of the fish on this site here
Disabled Goldfish Gets Underwater 'Wheelchair', Lots of Viral Love | Ecorazzi
Anyone have thoughts to this?

If the fish can live better, I think it is fine as long as the fish can swim properly.

I just wish the article was a little more in depth. It would be cool to know how the fish keeper got the idea for it and built the contraption.

The contraption looks interesting! I have rigged much more simplistic setups using soft cloth and combo of fishing bobbers and balancing weights to help a bottom sitter become more mobile. Not as fancy but somewhat functional and served its purpose. :)

Thanks for explaining it a little better jlk :) I was thinking that there was some type of bobber on top of the water but the video didn't show a whole lot about it. How in the world do you get the fish in the thing without causing stress?

Umm.... not very easily!!! Think of it as kind of a floating sling (that you would use for an arm) with holes cut out for the pectoral fins to keep it in place. I have honestly only used this as a last resort for fish that never left the bottom of a tank. Usually, they dont fight slipping this on or sitting in it once they realize its a better option. When (more like 'if') they feel better, they can easily swim out of it if they really want to. I dont think any of my present fish will willingly volunteer for a pic or I would show you! lol :)

Btw, he is pretty much ADORABLE wiggling around in that thing. I just watched that again because he is so cute. I kind of want to hug him.

Back
Top Bottom