Adventures in Stupidity (and tank heaters)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captotterboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
So what do you get when you are an idiot, don't take a warning label seriously, a spot in your tank you want to fix, and a distraction?

Answer; burned fingers, broken glass in your tank, and a shattered aquarium heater.

I needed to move something in the tank so I took the heater out, set it aside, and did what I had to do. Well, one thing led to another and it took a few minutes longer than I thought to fix the problem. I picked up the heater, burned my fingers, it drops into the tank, shatters because of the temperature change, and I spend the next few minutes pulling glass from the tank.

Yay...... I am a dumb [moderator edt: dumb]. Just wanted to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, sounds pretty bad. I've heard of people that have left them on during PWC's and then blowing up. Were the fish okay?

Worse I've heard of several decades ago is people thinking external air pumps were meant to work inside the tank...

Fish are fine. I had to run out this morning and get a new heater (which I like better than the old)
The worst part is I had to disturb a bunch of plants and one of my hoses getting the new heater back in. VERY frustrating.

Our main tank has one of those Finnex Titanium heaters. Couldn't break it if you tried.

Our main tank has one of those Finnex Titanium heaters. Couldn't break it if you tried.
There is also the Aqueon Pro heaters that are unbreakable too.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

If it helps with the pain, did EXACT same thing 2 weeks ago. Had just put first 3 fish in the tank. Oops.

My mishap was with one of those expensive Finnex Stainless maybe could've been Titanium, but it had the external temp changing digital read out and was so nice and accurate.

I did similar thing, remove from tank - getting over heated smell something with a burning plastic-y smell fortunately I realized by a nearly sizzling sound of the water as I started to put it into the tank...then it got a dark shadow on the metal and only lasted about a month before it wouldn't heat much and added another heater then it died all together. I think I burned my fingers too, it was about 3 1/2 years ago. :oops:

There are lots of dumb things we do.

I bought a cheap one on ebay (worst mistake ever) I bumped it and I looked and it had a flame on the inside! I unplugged it really quick and chunked it out my window lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom