advice on where to put a 125g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so the wife has agreed to let me get a 125g tank:) started out looking at 75g and she says, "you know your gonna want bigger so we might as well just go ahead and get a 125g lol. I love my wife, she's pretty understanding about this hobby. I guess I should prob tell her I ordered a new test kit and powerhead this morning lol. So I am thinking that it should prob sit across floor beams not running with them if you know what I mean. Should I put it against a load bearing wall or does that not matter. The house we are in is only 2 years old so I know the floors have zero problems. The house has a crawl space thats like 3 foot deep lol. Should I stack cinder blocks up down there where the tank will go or no need for it? Any advice or experience will be greatly appriciated. Oh and if your baseing your advice on experience please let me know, so I know you've done it with no problems.

Across the beams is the best, you are correct.

You probably do not have to add any support under it if it's near a bearing wall, but doing it certainly won't hurt anything and the peace of mind is cheap.

I work in construction and I wasn't taking a chance

image-1749971739.jpg

That's what I did in my basement for my 125. With the sump your pushing 1 ton. At the same time, cast iron bathtubs full of water can't be light
Supra

i was told using load bearing walls and ones toward the centre of the house are ideal, however that was from research a while ago. and yeah, across beams is best! will that frame be directly under the tank or have you not decided exactly where its going yet?

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
i was told using load bearing walls and ones toward the centre of the house are ideal, however that was from research a while ago. and yeah, across beams is best! will that frame be directly under the tank or have you not decided exactly where its going yet?

Pretty much right below it. I went 1 joist further in both directions.

image-4252919854.jpg

Here it is in the wall. Sand came in today so with plumbing I should be close. You can see in the background my old gym. That was my old hobby till I got salty. Bye bye gym

Supra said:
I work in construction and I wasn't taking a chance

That's what I did in my basement for my 125. With the sump your pushing 1 ton. At the same time, cast iron bathtubs full of water can't be light
Supra

I don't think I'm gonna go the sump route.

I'm wanting to put it on a wall that is a load bearing wall in the center of the house I'm just not sure which way the floor beams run. Guess I will have to do something I don't like to do and crawl under the house

Your joists should run the opposite way of the bearing wall. You'll have to do more research on that. Are you planning on cutting into the wall or just up to it?

Supra said:
Your joists should run the opposite way of the bearing wall. You'll have to do more research on that. Are you planning on cutting into the wall or just up to it?

Cutting into the wall? Did you mean putting it in the wall? If that's what you meant, its just gonna go against the wall

Back
Top Bottom