Albinos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedDevil83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What causes every animal, even fish to have red eyes white pigment when albino? Is it something that lives in everything to look alike?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know I could find different sources on this but I like to see what you guys think first

Albinism is caused by a genetic mutation that prevents the production of melanins (pigment) So what you see is not what you would call a separate form of an animal but simply a mutation that causes the coloration difference. Albinos are rarely seen in the wild due to the disadvantage of standing out in your specific habitat. They are consumed much more quickly by predators who can spot them easily. While it is very rare for an Albino to survive to adulthood in the wild it does happen. In fact several Albino humpback whales have been spotted in the northern seas recently. Well there is the simple explanation of Albinism in animals and why they are rarely seen outside of captivity. (y)

I think it's pretty cool. Has no effect of health or life span either which is a plus.

Caleb

I think it's pretty cool. Has no effect of health or life span either which is a plus.

Caleb

While Albinism doesn't significantly shorten lifespan it does cause the fry of many fish species to grow slower. I couldn't tell you why but it does. If you raise an albino Bristle nose Pleco and a normal colored one together the normal colored fish would grow faster.

The red eyes is caused by lack of melanin (duh) in the retina and iris. The red you see in eyeballs is actually the under lying blood vessels. The red eyes creep me out.
There's different forms of albinism though, such as leucistic type where the eyes are normal, lucky me!

Jesse

Haven't seen an albino human for awhile, did those get devoured in the wild? Lol jk. I just find it fascinating that reptiles, birds,amphibians, mammals, insects?, fish,and even us all can come out looking the same color, kind of makes me think, too much lol

Back
Top Bottom