ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bamm69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 tank with 4 oscars I have a 100 gal sunsun canister. my ammonia is .25 is this bad? and what can take it down?

4 oscars in a 55g? That tank isnt big enough for 1 oscar.

0.25ppm ammonia is a sign that your tank isnt cycled. The only way to take it down is through getting your tank cycled or water changes. 4 oscars may simply be too much bioload for your system and you will always be fighting against water parameters and the 55g doesn't give enough space for them to live comfortably.

What are your plans for dealing with the overstocking? Returning fish or getting a bigger tank?

We are moving into our new house in a month or so I have another 55 gal tank and I am purchasing a 90 gal between now and then. I thought at their size now it would not be a problem until we move.

0.25ppm isnt a lot of ammonia and wont be causing any harm unless you are at a high pH, although oscars are sensitive to poor water. Are the fish showing any signs of illness or stress?

So you plan on 1 oscar in each of the 55g and 2 in the 90g? Still on the small side of acceptable tank sizes, but better than them all in a 55g.

nitrite/nitrate and ph are fine and the fish seem to really be enjoying the tank going up to the water output and riding it down to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom