Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Bamm69
ammonia

I have a 55 tank with 4 oscars I have a 100 gal sunsun canister. my ammonia is .25 is this bad? and what can take it down?

Old 01-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

4 oscars in a 55g? That tank isnt big enough for 1 oscar.

0.25ppm ammonia is a sign that your tank isnt cycled. The only way to take it down is through getting your tank cycled or water changes. 4 oscars may simply be too much bioload for your system and you will always be fighting against water parameters and the 55g doesn't give enough space for them to live comfortably.

What are your plans for dealing with the overstocking? Returning fish or getting a bigger tank?

Old 01-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

We are moving into our new house in a month or so I have another 55 gal tank and I am purchasing a 90 gal between now and then. I thought at their size now it would not be a problem until we move.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

0.25ppm isnt a lot of ammonia and wont be causing any harm unless you are at a high pH, although oscars are sensitive to poor water. Are the fish showing any signs of illness or stress?

So you plan on 1 oscar in each of the 55g and 2 in the 90g? Still on the small side of acceptable tank sizes, but better than them all in a 55g.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #5

nitrite/nitrate and ph are fine and the fish seem to really be enjoying the tank going up to the water output and riding it down to the bottom.

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com