Anyone else hate the 4th?? Dogs+Fireworks=A bad time!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
My poor dog ... I feel so bad for her this time of the year, and around New Years Eve! When she first got real bad she was 1 and it was New Years Eve ... we still had the tree up form christmas and a Firework went off! She actually jumped into the tree and brought the whole thing down with her!

Last year 4th of July, she tried to jump throughour picture window in the living room ... she hit so hard I thought for sure she broke her neck!

I have tried everything from playing CD's really loud ... to and I'm not joking putting ear plugs in her ears!

This year I went to my Vet. and they prescribed her Xanax, I'm not real sure about using it though ... although anything will be better than seeing her freaked out.

Anyone have any home remedies to try before resorting to the medication?

Thanks!
Jermz

what about a crate? If shes crate trained, put her in it and cover it so its dark. If she tried to jump out the window, she could do something really bad this year again. Any way you could take a road trip away from everything?? I have a friend whos Rotti HATES any loud noises... and will shiver in the bathtub during thunder storms. I feel so sorry for animals that have to go thru that. If you absolutely can not get away from the noise, and dont have a crate, leash her in the house to you so you can at least keep her from taking a dive out the window. How big a dog is it? I would give her the pills, also. I also know its safe to give dogs Benedril, ok so its for allergies, but I also know it put my poor dog right out for several hours. I have also heard to try not to "coddle" the dog when this happens, because I guess you are reassuring the dog that this is a time to freak out. I have tried to distract dogs who are frightened with treats and LOTS of praise when they dont freak out. Act happy and excited about it and maybe your dog might pick up on it being a good thing. Just be real careful not to get bit. A dog that is really freaked may bite when they have never bit anyone before. I guess you could also try an interior room that might be safe if you have it, a basement would be ideal, but you being in FLA, I highly doubt you have one.... Dogs feel safe in a "den" so if you could make one for her I sure she would love you for it, so she can hide. How does she handle thunder storms?

Dogs hear frequencies and can detect vibrations that humans cannot. So hearing an M80 or a bottlerocket going off is probably a totally different experience for a dog than it is for us.

Since your dog has a history of potentially hurting herself during firework displays, I would follow the vet's advice and give her the sedative.

I agree with Melody that dogs can pick up subtle behavioral cues from their owners. To your dog, you are the alpha, the leader of your pack - she will be closely observing your reactions when the fireworks start. Confidently and firmly tell her to shush if she whimpers at the loud noises - don't coddle or act concerned because that will only comfirm her fears that there is danger nearby.

I have a crate, she does not like it at all ... last time I tried it she actually stuck her paw through the slats and got it stuck! There was no damage, but she did limp around for a couple days after that. I didn't put a blanket over it though ... maybe I'll try that this year.

I called my vet today and she told me that Benadryl could have different reactions for dogs as it does for humans ... when I take benadryl I get hyper. So she said that if your dog is one of the 65% that it doesn't make sleepy it will make her hyper and thats even worse, this is why she prescribed the xanax!

Thunderstorm are another story, again she freaks but not as bad as the fireworks!! I usually find her in the bathtub or under the bed!!! This time of year in FL. is bad we get herendous thunderstorms everyday, I just can't see medicating my dog everyday!

She's not a real big dog, 50lbs, but she is real strong ... she has some husky in
her! I don't coddle her when she does this I try to ignore the whole thing and act as though nothing is wrong ... She doesn't buy it!!!

I absolutely hate the 4th of July now, and it sucks because I LOVE blowing things up! For my dogs sake I don't partake anymore .... :cry: :cry:

The first thing I thought of was one thing melody said, if she does well in the car, take her on a road trip. Somewhere where there is not a lot of people. Then again, if you are out of the house and she freaks out, that could be bad too. The meds are probably your safest bet. Your poor puppy is in danger of hurting herself, and the meds are only for one night.

Yeah if I take her in the car she will flip and that could be a real bad situation. I'm going to try the meds and see how that goes, the bad thing is it's not just one night here ... I mean the stands went up a week ago and everynight since then you'd think it was the 4th already!!! It really urks me :evil: :evil: !!!!

Maybe I'll try the meds myself ... :lol: :lol: :lol: .... I get so stressed out seeing her like that! And then like mentioned I'm sure she feeds off of that!

On another note, I just talked to a friend that has a Bull Mastiff (190lbs 8O ) and he said last year his dog knocked over the entertainment center! This year he is giving xanax to his dog no doubt about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom