Anyone here go fishing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@emily - I am soooo with you on that one! Between the baby (toddler) and 3 cats we have you pretty much just summed up my mornings

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@emily - I am soooo with you on that one! Between the baby (toddler) and 3 cats we have you pretty much just summed up my mornings

How old is your baby? I feel like this hobby has taken over our life. We have four dogs (until the bf decides he can't put an other one to sleep and brings it home), and just one big ol' savannah. Then the 6 fish tanks. Some creature always needs me. Between water changes, diaper changes, litter box cleaning, back yard poop scooping I feel like an expert on waste management. Cheers! Let's meet out on a boat some where quiet and drink a couple beers. Leave the monsters at home with the men! Haha if only.

Sent from my iPhone

He turned a year on July 19th. Ok I am a little less than you- just two tanks, the three cats, and the baby

He turned a year on July 19th. Ok I am a little less than you- just two tanks, the three cats, and the baby

Three cats = 2.25 toddlers. My cat is worse than the toddler some times. At least the kid doesn't try to fish in the 180g. Hats off to you!

Sent from my iPhone

I haven't been fishing in forever but I plan on getting a license and new equipment soon. Lost my rod and tackle box in hurricane Katrina and never really had opportunity to fish since. Now im back livung near the lake and its something I really want to take up again. Nothing quite like fresh fish you caught yourself. Plus around here at least the only way you are going to get "game fish" like bass is if you catch it yourself. Its illegal to sell it. And bass is a favorite of mine.

I'm an avid Fisher and I do eat what I catch and I clean what I catch myself which seems to surprise men. I love to fish. I also have 9 tanks and as Andy said I can't imagine eating any of those fish. Bluegill is my favorite fish to eat and catch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am an avid angler. I practice catch and release. The only time I keep a fish is if it was foul hooked and received a death sentence. When this happens I finish the fish off in a very fast manner. The fish is filleted and the rest is donated to neighbors. There is a ethical way of fishing. I think it makes you understand the power of some fish when your fighting a large female large mouth. When you get her in you take your measurements snap a photo give her kiss and then let her go.

I am an avid angler. I practice catch and release. The only time I keep a fish is if it was foul hooked and received a death sentence. When this happens I finish the fish off in a very fast manner. The fish is filleted and the rest is donated to neighbors. There is a ethical way of fishing. I think it makes you understand the power of some fish when your fighting a large female large mouth. When you get her in you take your measurements snap a photo give her kiss and then let her go.

That's exactly how I feel about it, I hate to see some people abuse fishing. There's nothing on the earth I enjoy more than giving a big ol kiss to a big mama bass.

May the force be with you.

I wouldn't say I love to kiss the bass lol, it's my way of showing the animal love before I release her. I like to keep the good karma rolling lol

Hey guys ,

I use to go fishing when I was a kid. However since I started keeping fish I just can't bring my self to go fishing . I know the cycle of life and blah blah blah. But since I have noticed that each fish has their own personality I cann't just view them like I use to.

Has fish keeping did this to anyone else ?

Personally it has stopped me and my bf, to me it's like putting a fishing rod in my tank and catching them, I couldn't bring myself to do it, we have thrown all our rods everything that is to do with fishing, only fish I catch are mine when I'm upgrading tanks or have a poorly fish,

Sent from my fish phone

It's very interesting to see everyone's view on this subject. Also very refreshing to see people not bashing others on their views.

I'm pretty sure research has been done and shown that the only pain fish feel is the first piercing of the hook, and after that its just a tugging coming from their mouth. This is just one thing I've found that makes fishing ok from your perspective.

How would you feel with a hook going through your lip over and over when you thought you were getting food an then gettin your lip tugged up till you were caught and terrified at the same time

I bet the same people who did this research are the same ones that say fish have a 3 second memory

Sent from my fish phone

How would you feel with a hook going through your lip over and over when you thought you were getting food an then gettin your lip tugged up till you were caught and terrified at the same time

I bet the same people who did this research are the same ones that say fish have a 3 second memory

Sent from my fish phone

Agree (note I am a fisherman) it's a double edged sword I love fish and love the sport of catching fish. One fish I have caught was put into my fathers tank. It grew to be 5+lbs and we released the beautiful blue cat back to the wild. I agree fish have longer memories than that. Typically once a fish is hooked it won't bite again for 3 days.

I wouldn't say I love to kiss the bass lol, it's my way of showing the animal love before I release her. I like to keep the good karma rolling lol

I like to keep the good karma rolling too.

Agree (note I am a fisherman) it's a double edged sword I love fish and love the sport of catching fish. One fish I have caught was put into my fathers tank. It grew to be 5+lbs and we released the beautiful blue cat back to the wild. I agree fish have longer memories than that. Typically once a fish is hooked it won't bite again for 3 days.

Not sure about that time frame. I once caught a small grouper near a jetty that I watched someone catch about 3-4 hours before me. I knew it was the same fish because it had the same mis-marking and hole on the side of his mouth from the other guy's hook. He had used natural bait, I used an artificial lure. Can't say this is typical but it did happen which raises the point: Maybe they don;t have such long term memory after all. If the pain was too much to bare, why did it attack another food in just a few hours?

Just sayin' ;)
(y)

^ maybe it's need for food out weighted the pain of being caught.

^ maybe it's need for food out weighted the pain of being caught.

Scientific study's show that fish do not feel pain by electrically charging the water fish are in.

And yes I do go fishing and eat fish that are a reasonable size to keep.

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

Have always fished and always kept tanks. Have no issues with either. I mainly catch and release (bass 99% of the time) but have no problems keeping a mess of fish to eat. I kept them different ways, strung gills up on lotus stems as I waded the shallows, used floating fish baskets at times, bucket during winter, and then if in the boat live well.

Back
Top Bottom