Aquabid ...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe5688

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i was checking out aquabid today for my first time. Am I missing something? Everything seems really really over priced lol. Dont mean to call anyone out if they are selling anything but for instance

AquaBid.com - Item # fwrainbows1328920583 - Melanotaenia lacustrus Turquoise Rainbowfish - Ends: Fri Feb 10 2012 - 06:36:23 PM CDT

$25 shipped for a tourqoise raindbow? I just bought one from the petstore the other day for $5 lol

AquaBid.com - Item # fwrainbows1328913606 - Melanotaenia boesemani PAIR - Ends: Fri Feb 10 2012 - 04:40:06 PM CDT

$45 shipped for boesemanis and at the store they are less then $10 each.

Just trying to figure out why everything is so high price. Obviously shipping plays a big part in it.

All shipping is like that because you have to have insulation , heAt packs boxes and other stuff. Shipping can be expensive! I was about to buy some cichlids but then I saw the shipping and deciced against it. Some you can just pick the fish up so it won't cost as less.

All shipping is not like that. All OVERNIGHT shipping is like that. Some of us ship Priority on the cheap. ;)

*edit* a lot of the rainbows are priced higher on AB because a lot of them are wild or bred from wild stock, with known collection points. Just a thought.

Last edited:
severum mama said:
All shipping is not like that. All OVERNIGHT shipping from big box retailers is like that. Some of us ship Priority on the cheap. ;)

True!^ she ships cheaper than 99.5 others. Cheapest I saw shipping for fish was 10$ which wasn't too bad.

I can only speak about the rainbows on AB. Some of them are more expensive because they are PURE. No cross bred stuff. The auction last week for rainbows offered some bows that have never been offered in the U.S. before. If you know rainbows, and the rainbow breeders on AB then you understand why they are more expensive. The fish offered last weekend were collected wild, brought back to the states, bred and sold by Gary Lange. He is the premier bow collector, and breeder in the United States.I agree that some of the bows on AB are way over priced for the quality they are, most are just imported fish farm stock, or Fla. fish farm stock. Have to know your seller, and do some research to get quality(y)

I think my problem is that u can go to the store and pay retail for cheaper but I see where u guys/gals are coming from

I cant speak about rainbows specifically, but a lot of types of cichlids, angels and other fish you just cant find locally. I have seen some rather expensive fish on there (some of the shrimp prices make me laugh sometimes, 2k for a few shrimp :lol: ), but there are also a bunch of good deals if your patient and keep an eye out!

In most cases Aquabid fish are more expensive than your LFS, because they are higher quality, larger size, documented, etc. There are exceptions there as well as anywhere else, but you sometimes do get what you pay for. Generally, the established sellers can be trusted to provide quality and variety that you simply won't find outside of hobby circles. So they can charge more for keeping and breeding the fish for months or years at a time versus ordering weekly bread and butter fish from a wholesaler. JMR. Just my ramble.

foster53 said:
I can only speak about the rainbows on AB. Some of them are more expensive because they are PURE. No cross bred stuff. The auction last week for rainbows offered some bows that have never been offered in the U.S. before. If you know rainbows, and the rainbow breeders on AB then you understand why they are more expensive. The fish offered last weekend were collected wild, brought back to the states, bred and sold by Gary Lange. He is the premier bow collector, and breeder in the United States.I agree that some of the bows on AB are way over priced for the quality they are, most are just imported fish farm stock, or Fla. fish farm stock. Have to know your seller, and do some research to get quality(y)

I've ordered my bosemani rainbows from Gary before f1's I got from him with documentation of the parents and collection site so as far as he goes totally worth the price for that extra mile. The colors are way better than the farm raised one at any lfs or wholeseller I've purchased in the past from. But if you are new to rainbows get the cheap ones first to get your feet wet with the species and their care so you don't blow a small salary on the better strains hide your credit card lol!:)

I've ordered my bosemani rainbows from Gary before f1's I got from him with documentation of the parents and collection site so as far as he goes totally worth the price for that extra mile. The colors are way better than the farm raised one at any lfs or wholeseller I've purchased in the past from. But if you are new to rainbows get the cheap ones first to get your feet wet with the species and their care so you don't blow a small salary on the better strains hide your credit card lol!:)

LOL, ain't that the truth! Gary does have excellent stock. I have bought about $800.00 worth from him, and never been disappointed(y).

Back
Top Bottom