Aquarium hobby misconceptions and myths!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not really that all-knowing when it comes to fishkeeping. So I want to start this thread. It's debunking time!

Here's my share:
Goldfish can live in a bowl.

Seriously, I still know some people who believes in this.:facepalm:

People thinking bottled bacteria starters/booster actually work. Probably more than 95% of the time, you're just wasting money.

Not sure if I should post this one, but lets see where it goes . . .

I have to have bacteria/cycle a tank in order to keep fish alive and to have healthy fish

1. All you need is an air stone and some algae for a 'balanced tank'.
2. No need to do water change, just top it off with tap water.
3. No need to QT fish.

a fishs' internal organs will continue to grow even when growth in stunted...leading to a painful death (and even exploding organs):facepalm:

Fish don't feel pain?

a fishs' internal organs will continue to grow even when growth in stunted...leading to a painful death (and even exploding organs):facepalm:

I think this is true. Kidneys in particular. (Spinal deformity)
I'm not sure how many stunted plecs you've seen. It's a nasty thing to witness especially when you know what the correct body form is.
(Most fish stores have a collection of abused specimens, normally tank busters)

It may not be painful (FISH DONT FEEL PAIN?) but it is definitely premature.
Bruised kidneys hurt me, I assume it would hurt a fish, if the kidney grew up against the spinal column that would be pressing against the nerves that are running through the column. Nerve damage is most certainly painful! For a long time.
I think that's true in all species of Kingdom animalia. Nerve damage hurts.

Imagine every move you make (think like a fish) with organs pressed against the spine, ouch! Early death for me too, please!

I will certainly argue that stunting is real and can often lead to a shortened lifespan, I have never actually found any research that says that the organs keep growing. I have definitely never seen anything that says organs can explode. The only time I have ever seen this information is on forums, but I am not sure where the basis comes from. If anybody has a source they have found that discusses this, feel free to share though.

Its a myth!
"Additionally
There is a popular theory on the internet that the body stops growing but the internal organs do not. We have not been able to find any evidence to support this but if you are aware of any please contact us at info@injaf.org as we’d love to know more about this if indeed it does occur."

Do fish grow to the size of their tank? - INJAF

(Today I learnt something new!)
Maybe it's poor care.

There is a ton...literaly thousands of research papers out there, about affects of stunting on many species of fish, in many varying environments...including aquariums........NONE of the results indicate ANYTHING showing overgrowth of internal organs.....

IF you bother to look any of this up, you will find that there is a good bit of research that indicates inbreeding (especially in those we've breed to have certain features like many goldfish) is the most probable reason behind many of the problems people point to as "stunting"...

......PLEASE at least give me the name of the journal that published any research that lists excess organ growth in stunted fish as a result...i know a pathologist who would love to integrate that into his research...

That seems like an odd evolutionary strategy, doesn't it?

"Hey, we've successfully become the dominant species of this here pond. Better make our organs mush together until we die a painful death."

That seems like an odd evolutionary strategy, doesn't it?

"Hey, we've successfully become the dominant species of this here pond. Better make our organs mush together until we die a painful death."

The theory is so that the organism can become more sexually mature as a last desperate attempt to breed, as the body recognizes it is in less than ideal conditions.

Back
Top Bottom