Aquarium Salt on freshwater ? How much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NonExistant

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I am thinking of trying out aquarium salt on my 20 gallon. Is that a good idea ? I mean just the word "salt" keeps me away from the product for freshwater. Just using the salt to introduce the fish to the aquarium once I get them.(Guppies)

Guppies do like brackish water, actually. Personally, I think it's silly to add salt to a freshwater aquarium for anything more than an acute treatment. If you want to go brackish, cool. If you want to stay fresh, stay fresh.

Why do you want to add salt?

The fish from my local fish store look really sick so I just thought maybe when I buy them I should add a little salt to the 20 gallon. So I'm finding treatments to treat their parasites or ick. Well I don't know maybe I'll get lucky and get healthy fish but chances are I'm not.

Non...

I use roughly a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of replacement water. This is enough to keep my fish healthy and by keeping the dose this low, my plants aren't affected. I keep Corydoras, Platys, Guppies, Danios and Plecos.

Your choice,

B

Non...

I use roughly a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of replacement water. This is enough to keep my fish healthy and by keeping the dose this low, my plants aren't affected. I keep Corydoras, Platys, Guppies, Danios and Plecos.

Your choice,

B

Oh thank you ! I'll do the same

Agreed. There are some really good websites you can order from. And you might have good aquarium places under the radar near you.

There's only like one other fish store but they only sell saltwater fish but yes I'll buy online instead. It's $40 shipping but I would spend that much on medicine if I were to buy sick fish from my local pet store.

don't be fooled, "aquarium salt" is NOT for saltwater tanks. it's not the same product. it's specifically for freshwater fish and it should say so on the packaging. I use it in all of my tanks and it not only improves their lifespan but it actually helps to heal some injuries and illnesses.

i started using it when a molly i had got pop-eye. her eye was actually poking out of her head. i read that the salt could help and put some in there and by the next day her eye was back where it should be.

the salt is used to add electrolytes into the water and improve gill function in the fish. it improves the quality of the water and helps to keep them healthy.

typically the amount to use is a tablespoon per 5 gallons or half a teaspoon per 1 gallon. it doesn't evaporate with the water so only add it to new water, not to water you've already put it in. it'll dissolve in the water within a few minutes of adding it.

i actually work at a pet store and have five tanks, and i recommend it to everyone who has unhealthy fish. definitely give it a try!!

don't be fooled, "aquarium salt" is NOT for saltwater tanks. it's not the same product. it's specifically for freshwater fish and it should say so on the packaging. I use it in all of my tanks and it not only improves their lifespan but it actually helps to heal some injuries and illnesses.

i started using it when a molly i had got pop-eye. her eye was actually poking out of her head. i read that the salt could help and put some in there and by the next day her eye was back where it should be.

the salt is used to add electrolytes into the water and improve gill function in the fish. it improves the quality of the water and helps to keep them healthy.

typically the amount to use is a tablespoon per 5 gallons or half a teaspoon per 1 gallon. it doesn't evaporate with the water so only add it to new water, not to water you've already put it in. it'll dissolve in the water within a few minutes of adding it.

i actually work at a pet store and have five tanks, and i recommend it to everyone who has unhealthy fish. definitely give it a try!!

Loads of good information and experience. Thank you so much that's just what I wanted.

There are many different thoughts on salt in a freshwater tank , some will agree it helps curve certain illness in fish , when I kept freshwater I always used aquarium salts . not only did it make the water sparkle the fish seemed to be healthier and more active , It also helped cut the amount of unwanted snails , the only down side on using salt is you cant keep certain types of fish mainly scaleless fish . if used correctly salts can be a great benefit , salts will also benefit planted tanks

Back
Top Bottom