Are you over stocked??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How over stocked are you??

• At my limit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over but not by much

• Way over but dont tell anyone

• Total voters
The problem with this question is someone who is over stocked may not think they are. You know what I'm saying??
So No I'm not over stocked... Just 1 more fish needed.. Ok 2..

Im not over yet, but when my fish are are at their full size then I will be over. But by that time I will have a bigger tank.

I voted over but not by much and that calculation is based on full grown size so technically I'm not over right now but if nothing dies (which IS the goal after all) the I am probably at or slightly over. My tank is really healthy though as the params are all pretty good and I've had zero deaths.

Determining if you are over-stocked should be based on water quaility more then the in/gal rule. If you are constantly battling to keep water parameters in check then, chances are, you are over-stocked. Let's not confuse "over-stocking" with keeping the appropriate size fish in the appropriate sized tank. My water parameters are always well within normal ranges so I do not beleive I am over-stocked. Off to the LFS, I guess...

it is a good point but lets say in 1 year you still have the same fish that have now all grown, now you may have the water issues.. So you need to think long term with this one.

Most fish take at least 2-4 years if not longer to reach full size but I still don’t agree with the thought of “planning” to get a larger tank in the future as a basis on choosing which & how many fish to keep. With the average cost of anywhere from $20 to $30+ dollars per gal for a fowlr or reef system having that 120+ gal tank is often out of reach for most aquarist for many years.

For beginner SW aquarists the general rule of in/gal in saltwater should be followed closely to alleviate fish stress/water quality issues IMO and if you don’t have the space for your fish when they are adults then you are just asking for trouble down the road. Especially with predator fish which can be excessively messy.

Experienced fish keepers can exceed the rule slightly mostly because they often have the proper equipment for keeping the water quality high ie: 1+ lbs of lr per gal, quality skimmer, dedicated water changes with ro\di water, & frequent testing to ensure their results are working.

I look at the "Way over but don't tell anyone" choice and out of 21 people only 2 admitted. We're all liars! :p Well, I am one of the 2 out of 21.

With that said.....I am not overstocked BUT I don't tell anyone...just to you guys. :wink:

:oops: although, I'm tankless at the moment, I voted "Way over stocked..." because many many years ago, with my 1st 55g reef tank... I had 1 maroon clown, 1 hippo tang, 1 kole tang, 1 scooter blenny, 2 pearly headed jawfish, a few chromis and a royal gramma... all at once. They lived happily together for years and with no problems... just luck, loads of super great live rock, and my tank OCD I'm sure.

As I learned and educated myself, I still had a hard time parting with any of my fish... and a bigger tank just wasn't in the picture... I did find better homes for the Kole & the scooter.

I think I am just about right.

What do you think? Its a 35g, with about 15 lbs of lr, 2 striped damsels, 2 spotted cardinals, 2 peppermint shrimp, a little blue lobster,(I think thats what its called) a purple Condylictus (SP?) several hermits and 2 turbo snails.

I agree with LAndo, that water is great, 110w lighting.

I am still pretty new to this, and still have a little bit of die off.

Just lost a lawnmower blenney, :(

stainless_wm said:
Just lost a lawnmower blenny, :(
Sorry about your loss. A lot of people have trouble keeping them due to them starving in newer tanks. As far as the rest of your stock I’d say you are doing fine.

I am over but my fish are not full size yet...... So I am still under.... LOL

But in 2 years I am upgrading again, I went from a 90g (still running/reef) to a 300g (FOWLR) & going to 600g (FOWLR), already buying my pumps for that tank.... I can't wait!

lando - that was well put....

tecwzrd - I also agree with what you said on upgrades & see it way to often in this hobby

Kaye

I don't think I am officially overstocked anymore. Although I may still have to work on the ethics and morality of my tank. I have a 4-ft 55G tank with a 2" maroon and a 2.5" BHT. It also comes with 5 large Mexican Turbo Snails and less than a dozen small blue legged hermits. (My cleanup crew so far)

What do you think?

I think I am just where I should be Now. I have lost two fish in the last two months and think it was due to overcrowding. Everyone seems to be happy now. So easy to overstock!

Back
Top Bottom