Bad fish day :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today has been a really bad fish day.

First I was changing water in my kid's tank and I was trying the pump method where I pump the water out to a bucket with a powerhead. I had the pump intake unprotected but I put it up against a fake plant so there was some stuff blocking the intake. Well I must have underestimated the power of the intake because his betta came too close to check it out and got sucked in butt first. I pulled the plug immediately but he was so ripped up he looked like he went into a garbage disposal. His very few remaining fins were strings and his butt ended too early in a shredded mess. There were fin bits all over the tank. It was absolutely horrible.
I tried moving him to a hospital tank but he was clearly mortally wounded and really ailing. so I euthanized him. I didn't have any special affinity for him but the fact that I had made him suffer so horribly and tortured him in such a manner had me in tears. I can't believe I did that to him. I feel so horrible.

Then hubby and I went to the movies and when we came home in the main tank discovered my absolutely favorite fish, my German Blue Ram named Snow White (our ONLY fish with a name, she was that special) floating at the top. To make me feel extra bad she had obviously been dead a few days (although she wasn't floating before this evening; she must have been dislodged from her death spot today during water change). So now I don't understand how I didn't notice she was missing at food time, the last few days. I'm so sad, she was my favorite. So, more tears. I don't know why she died.

That's my bad fish day, thanks for listening.

It's always difficult to take when you know it's something you have done wrong.

How did you euthanise?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ice water. It probably didn't even euthanize him fast enough but he was already suffering horribly so it's not like it could have been any worse for him. =|

Ice water. It probably didn't even euthanize him fast enough but he was already suffering horribly so it's not like it could have been any worse for him. =|

I was just curious on your method. I struggle to euthanise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Today has been a really bad fish day.

First I was changing water in my kid's tank and I was trying the pump method where I pump the water out to a bucket with a powerhead. I had the pump intake unprotected but I put it up against a fake plant so there was some stuff blocking the intake. Well I must have underestimated the power of the intake because his betta came too close to check it out and got sucked in butt first. I pulled the plug immediately but he was so ripped up he looked like he went into a garbage disposal. His very few remaining fins were strings and his butt ended too early in a shredded mess. There were fin bits all over the tank. It was absolutely horrible.
I tried moving him to a hospital tank but he was clearly mortally wounded and really ailing. so I euthanized him. I didn't have any special affinity for him but the fact that I had made him suffer so horribly and tortured him in such a manner had me in tears. I can't believe I did that to him. I feel so horrible.

Then hubby and I went to the movies and when we came home in the main tank discovered my absolutely favorite fish, my German Blue Ram named Snow White (our ONLY fish with a name, she was that special) floating at the top. To make me feel extra bad she had obviously been dead a few days (although she wasn't floating before this evening; she must have been dislodged from her death spot today during water change). So now I don't understand how I didn't notice she was missing at food time, the last few days. I'm so sad, she was my favorite. So, more tears. I don't know why she died.

That's my bad fish day, thanks for listening.

I am so sorry for your loss! I lost one of my beloved honey gourami 2 days ago. His buddy is still looking for her.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very sorry to hear this :(

I was really sketchy about the powerhead siphon method, now I really don't want to do it.

Caleb

Good to know to steer clear of that method. Educational for all of us. Maybe with a rubber banded filter media chunk.

So sorry to hear of the horrible very bad day. And worst when we contributed to the problem. Been there too, different scenario. It is heart wrenching.

Big hug for you and your youngster.

Sorry Jen :( truly a bad day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im so sorry to hear that. Ill heed that lesson. Nothing but hose n lungs for my WCs. Keep your head up..... More fishies like snow white need your luv.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anyway I do change water once a week. I think I was just getting into a buildup problem in my bioballs. I put it on my calendar this time to backwash them and deep clean my sump in 6 months (I think it had been 9 or even nore). No other explanation for why nitrates have been going up faster than usual lately. They weren't outrageous though, but rams are touchy. I must have gotten too complacent because she has always appeared very hale and hearty. Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom