Bee Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Stachys byzantina lamb's ear plant. During the past few years, I've seen honey bees and bumblebees on the fuzzy leaves, collecting the "fuzz". The bees use their mouthparts to collect the "fuzz" in a ball under their "chin", and then they fly away. The bees collect such a small amount that the leaves aren't damaged. For the first time this year, I saw a bee doing this today. I have always wondered what it was doing, and maybe someone here knows!

I don't know for sure but I have a hypothesis.

Perhaps the bee is using the fuzz to increase the surface space where pollen can attach to the bee. This way they are carrying more pollen than they would without the fuzz. It is just a guess, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Pretty interesting beehavior though :wink:

Leafcutter bees (which resemble honeybees) use their mouthparts to cut out semicircular pieces of leaves, which they use to line their nests. Perhaps the lambs ear's thick fuzz prevents the bees from actually cutting through the leaf - forcing them to settle for a mouthful of fuzz.

These bees are native to the Western US and Canada, but beekeepers have cultivated them elsewhere for their pollinating services - especially in alfalfa fields. They are solitary bees that nest in soft, rotting wood. The damage caused by their leafcutting activities is far outweighed by their pollinating services.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05576.html

I think they're both wrong. See, the bees collect the fuzz to celebrate Beemas (a holiday very similar to Christmas). They wad a big ball of fuzz under their chin so they can look like they have a beard, like the fictitional Santa Bee, bringing honey to all the good little larvae and pupae in the hive.

I'm telling you, that's what it is. I know.

deli_conker said:
I think they're both wrong. See, the bees collect the fuzz to celebrate Beemas (a holiday very similar to Christmas). They wad a big ball of fuzz under their chin so they can look like they have a beard, like the fictitional Santa Bee, bringing honey to all the good little larvae and pupae in the hive.

I'm telling you, that's what it is. I know.

:lach:

Or, they could be collecting the fuzz to make a nice sweater for the queen! :wink:

Actually, they logged onto this site and saw the Japanese Giant Hornet video I posted. Now they are collecting the fuzz to change the appearance of their hive, kinda like Clint Eastwood did in "High Plains Drifter" (although he changed a town, not a hive). Anyways, when the hornets show up, they'll be too scared to do anything. I know I would be...

LOL, of course, Beemas! :lol: It must be celebrated during the summer while the bees are active (and before the bee sprayer comes!) 0X

I read the webpage, QTOFFER, and I have never seen semi-circular holes on the edges of any leaf. I've never seen the bees concentrate on any other types of leaves in the garden. It must be a leaf miner of some sort (I will remember to get a better look at the bee next time I see it) but for now it may remain a mystery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom