Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovefish7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
WHat is a list of materials for a beginner, and what tank size? My friend wanted to know.

Well, a bigger tank may seem harder to take care of, but they are actually easier than small tanks. Try to make your friend get a 20gallon or bigger. Your friend will also need a good filter, i try to go for a filter rated for twice my tank size, so for a 20 gallon tank i would get a filter rated for 40 gallons. A water changer is also a must have. I would also suggest sand because IMO it looks better and is easier to clean, if you have a gravel vac just hover about 1cm above the sand to get all the crud off. Your friend will also need a declorinator for when he does water changes. Finally, tell your friend to have fun, do lots of research, and tell him about this site.:)

Ok thank you. He is on vacation today so I will make sure to tell him when he gets back.

No Problem, If you have any other questions, just ask. The people on this forum would be happy to help.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Strips or chemicals? Do not know what one is better

He also has kids, so are the chemicals safe on skin? Just in case they get ahold of it some how?

I am not sure on that, but im guessing if you get some on you, you should just wash it off and you'll be fine

ilovefish7 said:
He also has kids, so are the chemicals safe on skin? Just in case they get ahold of it some how?

When I first got my kit, one of my lids was faulty. When I was shaking my ammonia results, a few drops came out of the top. My son tried to wipe it up before i noticed and I noticed he got a bit on his thumb. We ran to the sink and washed like crazy, but the next day he had a little peely spot on his finger. In short, I do not test when my son is around. And my kit goes up HIGH on a shelf. The bottles lock, but other things can happen. Just wanted to share my experience. As long as your friend is careful he should be fine :)

However, I have gotten the undiluted chemicals on my own skin, and had no issues.

This thread reminded me of when someone thinks they are asking a stupid question or doing something wrong and they use "their friend" when it is really them inquiring. lol

Don't matter to me but I just thought it was funny! tell "your friend" to post pics when he starts it up!

The liquid test kit is 1000xs better but I would buy it off of amazon.com. much cheaper! I love to shop around and normally the internet is where its at. Other than that everyones pretty much got it covered. Also have your friend research fishless cycling and to also research their possible stocking they are wanting to have

Back
Top Bottom