Bettas in bowls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pictuslover23

Aquarium Advice Regular
So earlier today my mom bought a Betta with the intent to keep it in a tiny Betta bowl. With my having two aquariums I couldn't let that happen. After putting him in my 20 gallon he looked so happy and I've never seen a Betta be so active. This got me thinking. How did the practice of keepin Bettas in tiny cramped bowls become so accepted? Then there are the tiny cups they're kept in at fish stores. Does this churn anyone else's stomachs?

Yes, I am aware of this, everyone knows that. What I meant is that I think it's wrong to keep a fish in a tiny jar for the entirety of it's life.

How did the practice of keepin Bettas in tiny cramped bowls become so accepted?
Because they kind of have to be, but since they have such minimal requirements and can live in a small bowl, people put them in there. Most people that buy them either don't understand or are not interested in the well being of the fish on the large scale. They see that the fish is living in a small cup, so moving it to a slightly bigger bowl seems like a good move and doesn't require any real thought or planning like getting a larger suitable tank would. Fish are often treated like decor.

Then there are the tiny cups they're kept in at fish stores. Does this churn anyone else's stomachs?
Not really, but I've seen a lot of them so I guess maybe I'm used to it.

I keep one in a 125g.

Back
Top Bottom