Biggest mistakes you have made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ywagner

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some of the biggest aquarium mistakes you have made that you wish to have undone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My biggest was getting rid of live plants in 20 gal. Thought I would go for a plastic and artificial look, and oh how I regret it.

Letting my brother in law take over an established mid tech 30 gallon few planted which had been set up for two yes which he ended up completely crashing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That was fw planted tank. It was heavily planted and he threw out all plant and drift wood and flourite replaced w blue gravel and killed almost all fish. Was moving and he was into it so I gave him care lessen and let him have tank. So angry

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dang

When I was new to the hobby I didn't know about treating my water and if I did more than a 35% water change I would kill my whole stock. Happened twice.

I have only had my first tank 3weeks I asked the pet shop if there was anything I needed to no all she told me was what temp to have it at set my tank up and brought 5 guppies and 1 betta , my betta killed 3 of my guppies before I moved him to a new tank I now have 2 guppies some mollies and two Bolivian ram s in my tank and my betta in a tank of on his own only found out yesterday frew this site about cycling process so hope my fish will be ok:/

Mine was getting clown loaches and silver dollars in an already overstocked 20 long tank. Yikes

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So when I first set my tank op I kept getting a electorate shock when I touch the water took everything out and put them all back in one at a tone and worked out it was my air stone so left it out. last night I got it out my cubored to see if I could figure out why seeing as it was brand new to see that it says do not submerge in water. I only put the hole thing in my tank including the pump witch says on it in Big capital letter do not put in water lol surprised I didn't blow my house up luckily didn't have no fishes then.

I kept Comets for years while trusting the advice given in my LFS brochure No mention was made about the required tank size. I thought a 20g tank was fine for them. Sadly they would usually last about 3-7 years before dying. I know now that if they're in an adequate tank they can live for 20 years. If they are in a less than adequate tank they won't last as long or live very comfortably. Always research the requirements of your fish if you want.

Most common mistake is letting buckets overflow during water changes.

Hmmm, well there was that one girl I met at a party. We got pretty hammered and then we went out and.........
:ermm:

OH, you mean fish related mistakes...:oops:

I don't know, I've always had very good luck overall.
I guess one that sticks out is when servicing a tank in doctors office once that had three of these guys in it;
92584-albums13974-picture67151.jpg

turns out their spines are poisonous and generally dirty/nasty and when trying to get one to move out of my way, he tagged me in the hand.

Hurt a little, but within an hour I was sick as a dog, a very sick dog, my hand swelled and I was ill for 3 days. It was actually worse then the two times I got tagged by lionfish.
My mistake was not being familiar with the fish.

Girlfriend got me a betta and a 0.8L tank or something like that which was my first first/"tank". Had it for about 2 days and thought I should change the water, so I put Gandalf in a cup with some of his water, dumped the water out of his tank and filled it back up with cold tap water and no conditioner, sadly Gandalf almost immediately started turning pale and slowly passed away. I was so sad, however because of that I am now into the hobby and do anything I can to help the fish.

Back
Top Bottom