Blue crayfish possibly dying ? Need some advice! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TaylorM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! First post. Ive had a blue crayfish for almost 3 years now. During her last moult she had issues getting her claw out. Her one claw is now deformed and she grew a brown spot on her tail. It looks like rust to me. Will attach photos. Went to feed her this morning and I spooked her, which never happens as she seen me coming because her claws were up and barred. Once I opened the lid she took off like I scarred her so she ended up on her back. She struggled and couldn't get up. Of course being the mom I am, got her back up. As I was typing this I heard a noise and looked up, she's on her side struggling to get up.

Is the brown spot, assuming its shell rot from what Ive been reading, attributing to her being able to stay afloat? She is older so I understand she's dying. Her moults are maybe once a year.

Water parameters are:
8.2ppm for PH
0ppm for nitrates
0ppm for nitrites
0ppm for ammonia

Im thinking/hoping its just age and to make her as comfy as I can. Any help/advice is appreciated!!

Attachments

• 20210507_103421.jpg
    20210507_103421.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
My blue crayfish is fed shrimp pellets, normally 3-4 per day.
Shes in a 10 gallon so water changes are difficult, but a pot is used to remove the water. Our syphon is designed for our bigger tanks we own.
She is 4 years old (went back through photos) so she moults maybe twice a year.
No heater in tank, this is because before owning her, I read heaters arent necessary for crayfish. I came into the room this morning and shes on her back. I find she has problems staying straight up, shes been on her side before as well. Almost as if shes losing her float balance ?
As for her claw, she cant utilize it. Her right claw is normal but her left looks pinched from her last moult that didnt come off properly. It was hard to watch her taking her claw and attempt to take the old shell off.

My crayfish passed away on the 22nd of june. R.i.p my girl. She didnt molt correctly because of her claw being misshapen from her previous molt.

Aww sorry to hear that! I love how they look, the color is gorgeous, I just don’t want the responsibility that goes into having them.

So sorry to hear the molt didn't come off right.

Sometimes tank water can be too hard and make the shell thicker / harder than usual. Or a Cray might not get enough of the right minerals.

A couple years ago my Ghost Cray and I couldn't even tell what the reason would have been, checked all the usual things. It's sad when you lose a pet.

Back
Top Bottom