Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Blue crayfish possibly dying ? Need some advice! :)

Hey all! First post. Ive had a blue crayfish for almost 3 years now. During her last moult she had issues getting her claw out. Her one claw is now deformed and she grew a brown spot on her tail. It looks like rust to me. Will attach photos. Went to feed her this morning and I spooked her, which never happens as she seen me coming because her claws were up and barred. Once I opened the lid she took off like I scarred her so she ended up on her back. She struggled and couldn't get up. Of course being the mom I am, got her back up. As I was typing this I heard a noise and looked up, she's on her side struggling to get up.

Is the brown spot, assuming its shell rot from what Ive been reading, attributing to her being able to stay afloat? She is older so I understand she's dying. Her moults are maybe once a year.

Water parameters are:
8.2ppm for PH
0ppm for nitrates
0ppm for nitrites
0ppm for ammonia

Im thinking/hoping its just age and to make her as comfy as I can. Any help/advice is appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210507_103421.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	320771  

Old 05-10-2021, 12:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hello, I am so sorry in hearing of your little guys problems.

There is some possible help with the rust.

What is the diet?

Water change schedule?

The Cray could be having difficulty molting too.

In reading the info on the salt treatment, make sure to cool your water to room temp.
https://thecrayfish.forumotion.net/t...-rot-treatment

This is some good information based around shrimp but similar situation.
https://aquariumbreeder.com/rust-dis...ank-treatment/

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My blue crayfish is fed shrimp pellets, normally 3-4 per day.
Shes in a 10 gallon so water changes are difficult, but a pot is used to remove the water. Our syphon is designed for our bigger tanks we own.
She is 4 years old (went back through photos) so she moults maybe twice a year.
No heater in tank, this is because before owning her, I read heaters arent necessary for crayfish. I came into the room this morning and shes on her back. I find she has problems staying straight up, shes been on her side before as well. Almost as if shes losing her float balance ?
As for her claw, she cant utilize it. Her right claw is normal but her left looks pinched from her last moult that didnt come off properly. It was hard to watch her taking her claw and attempt to take the old shell off.

Tags
advice, blue, blue crayfish, crayfish, dyi, dying, fish, ray

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com