Blue Ram Bubble Addict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malisa_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Blue Ram often goes and "gobbles" bubbles from the airstone, swims away and releases one or two halfway across the tank.

Does anyone else have a fish, Ram or not, that does this?

He is an active fish, constantly exploring the tank and begging me for food anytime I come up to the tank BUT he is in less than ideal water. We have hard, alkaline water when i read he prefers the opposite. Does anyone think this is cause to worry?

Well I don't know much abou rams, but my beta I had did that if there were bubbles. Nothing to worry about, unless he starts swimming upside down or sideways. That would be swim bladder trouble which could be caused by swallowing air. Try getting stuff to help the water- like Hardness Down- I saw some at a petsmart. Good luck! Your fish is probably just curious.

I don't know anything about swim bladder but is this something I should/could try to avoid by removing the airstone? That would be sad if his curiosity caused health problems...

Well I don't know much abou rams, but my beta I had did that if there were bubbles. Nothing to worry about, unless he starts swimming upside down or sideways. That would be swim bladder trouble which could be caused by swallowing air. Try getting stuff to help the water- like Hardness Down- I saw some at a petsmart. Good luck! Your fish is probably just curious.

You shouldn't be using products like ph-up/down hardness up/down or anything like that, it isn't a long term solution and can cause wild swings that can kill your fish. Look to a more natural and stable way to accomplish these thing.

As for your ram OP, some fish are just weird and that's my thought about it but someone else may have an idea as to why yours is doing this. I do know though that my rams love the area around the airstone too, they've claimed it as there home

k. Maybe Rams just like bubbles then. :fish2:

Don't worry. I wouldn't try messing with the water. I'm not a chemist! Though I like to pretend I am when I get to play with the test tubes at water testing time. =)

I actually have 2 mbunas that just randomly take a bit of air from the surface and release it halfway back to the bottom through there gills...At first I thought it was lack of O2 but only those 2 out of 8 do it so I figured there just wiered or something and I wouldn't worry about it unless they start getting bloated or swimming wiered or like the above said sideways or worse upside down.

Back
Top Bottom