break down of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thincat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it a good idea to break down and complete redo your DT's scaping and also doing a good rinsing of your LR yearly?
If not, do you do it at all?
Do you have a different time frame.
Would this break down eliminate "Old tank sysdrome"?
What are your thoughts?(y)

old tank syndrome? what's that? is that the same as losing interest and slacking off on husbandry?
i don't disrupt anything if i can help it.
if your live rock is covered with junk that can be removed with a "good rinsing", you should have been blowing that stuff off with water changes and re-evaluating the flow and filtration efficiency of your system.

I do not break down any of my aquariums. As long as you do weekly water changes and clean the gravel at the same time. Things can be fine. Unless you want to do the aqauarium all over and start from fresh. :scatter:

In the 20+ years I've had my reef tank, the only time I ever took out the rock was when I upgraded (twice) to a bigger tank.

I only rearranged my aquascape because I was taking off the hood and putting on my new lights, and things needed to be moved. Plus I took half the rock out anyway, just to set it up.

i don't even keep a cleanup crew, and have never had problems. nothing should collect anywhere if you have good flow.

In the 20+ years I've had my reef tank, the only time I ever took out the rock was when I upgraded (twice) to a bigger tank.

Same here. Only when I upgraded which was after 7 yrs and 5 yrs till now. No reason to do it unless there is a reason.

I use a turkey baster to test for detritus on my rocks right before I do a PWC. My tank is two years old and everything is stable. So I have to go with you guys...if it ain't broken....don't fix it! hahaha lol

Back
Top Bottom