CA cop shot man for no reason video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Did anyone see or know where I can find the video of the CA cop that shot the man this morning? I saw the video and was told it was on CNN earlier but got pulled. If you missed it the cop has the guy on the ground and tells him to get up. When he tries to stand up he shoots him 3 times. A guy in the house where it happened filmed it so the cop did not know he was being watched. The victim was a MP that had just returned from Iraq. Does anyone know where the video is or did anyone see it?

Here's the story

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/01/police.shooting/index.html

I don't know if I'd want to see the video! The one thing you have to remember is that videos can leave you with the impression that you "saw" with your own eyes everything but that's not necessarily true depending on the angle and editing and what not.

I realize that there probably are plenty of bad cops.....but I still tend to want to side with the cops usually. The guy was an unarmed military vet.....that's a fact. But it's also a fact that he was driving 100 mph, refused to pull over, led the cops on a high speed chase that ended with him smashing into a wall and how does the cop know he's unarmed? I would imagine that sort of situation sends your adrenaline into overdrive and everything happens really fast. And all cops want to go back to their homes and family at the end of the day so such situations probably put you in a "survival mode." It will be interesting to hear more about what happened but I wouldn't place any judgement on the cop just yet even if I saw the video.......at least I don't think I would.

hmmm I just re-read the story and realized the guy that got shot was the passenger in the car and not the driver which changes things a little.

everyone in the car is dangerous until evrything is completley under control by the law. I understand that the officers instructions were either spoken wrong or heard wrong, but I would not suggest anything other than complete cooperation when it comes to the law.

I saw it earlier. It is really difficult to make out what is going on, so I definitely wouldn't rush to judgment.

I now have the video. The guy that got shot is the passenger. He is sitting on the ground leaning on his hands out in front of him. The officer tells him to get up. He (victim) says "OK I am getting up" the officer then shoots him 3 times. If this was not done on purpose the only thing I can figure is the cop meant to say do not stand up, but clearly said stand up.

I went back and watched the video again. The victim tells him " I am on your side. I mean you no harm. I am in the military" he then states "I served more time than you" The cop says get up. He then says get up a second time. The victim says "OK I am getting up" then starts to stand. That is when he is shot. Takes away from my idea that he meant to say do not get up since he said it twice.

Boy it would be horrible if the man was shot because there was some sort of failure in communication between the two parties! I would wait to hear what the cop has to say though as people are just guessing why the cop chose to shoot. I would think it would be way more likely that the cop reacted to some movement he read as a "reaching" movement. We all know the guy was unarmed but there was no way for the cop to know that until the man was restrained and searched. As far as the cop telling him to get up, get up, and then shooting the guy and then telling him to stay down. It might not be bad communication at all. He could've wanted the guy to stand up, the guy might've made a movement that looked like he was reaching for something resulting in the cop shooting him and then telling him to stay down since he was now shot and the situation has changed dramatically! Who knows?

It seems like many of these police brutality cases happen after a high speed chase. So perhaps people should pull over when the cop flags them. Since the guy wasn't the "driver" he probably had little to no control over the high speed chase. You have to chose your friends wisely! But I tend to think there's more to the story. The actual driver didn't get shot. And if the cop was just shooting for no reason or 'cause he was pissed and up for some brutality don't you think he would have shot the punkazz driver first?

Oh and the "I mean you no harm" crap is laughable. Words mean a hell of alot less than actions. Once you engage a cop into a high speed chase that is so reckless it ends with a crash into a wall you have proven that in your current state you have little to no respect for your own life and therefore it's highly doubtful that you have respect for the lives of anyone else. You have also shown yourself to be a little nuts and unpredictable. Honestly the fact that he said he meant no harm is meaningless. The fact that he is a military vet is also meaningless in this situation. It's an interesting side note and perhaps he's living life recklessly as a result of a bad time in the war but so what. It doesn't excuse criminal behavior.

it amazes me that california trumpets thier use of the death penalty and then puts a cop, who totally wrongly - I have seen the video - shoots a young man who served in Iraq "on leave."

Why does it matter that the guy served in Iraq? Are the cops given some type of rule book that is different for men who served in Iraq as opposed to the rest of us. If a pedophile or rapist served in Iraq would he be less bad then one who didn't?

And of course they put the cop on leave. What would you have them do.... arrest him on the spot? There has to be an investigation! The cop is an American citizen and innocent until proven guilty!!!!!!!!

You are forgetting one thing...He was not the driver. He did not engage the cops in a high speed chase. He was charged with nothing. Saying I mean you no harm is meaningless but like I said he did not act recklessly nor endanger anyone's life. However I have a feeling he had been drinking. One think that stuck out when I just watched it AGAIN. After he was shot and laying on the ground moaning the cop is yelling at him over and over again "Shut the F%$ up!!!" I am sorry but if I am shot 3 times I am going to moan. Maybe he got mad because he said he served longer than him? :)

I believe the reference was made because the individual has "served" his country in the military and gets shot while home.

The discussion is going good, please let's keep it that way.

Him not being the driver changes things a little. But it is interesting that the actual driver made it out of the situation without being shot while he didn't. And you are responsible for who you hang out with. Let's say you were in a meth house that the cops decided to raid. Let's say you were just a friend visiting your crazy meth house having friend. Are you a criminal? Maybe not but the cops are sure as hell gonna treat you like one and rightly so! So you better cooperate and wait till court to plead your innocence.

talloulou: If you see the video I think you will change your opinion of this officer.
Just for review:
The guys hands are open on the ground.
The officer tells him to get up. Not once but twice.
His hands are still on the ground when he is shot because he is using them to push himself up. He is not shot once but 3 times.

okay......though it is close to dinner time and I definitely want to eat before being horrified.....I may just watch the video. I know the video will probably invoke an emotional response though cause who wants to see some idiot get shot up by a police office? And I have heard that the video isn't very clear but maybe I'll watch it, got a link?

The fact that the person that got shot wasn't driving...changes nothing, absolutly nothing. If you knew anything about being a cop, you would know that. The passenger of a car is just as likely (if not more so) to shoot you as the driver.

Based on what I have read (in this thread) it is obvious that serious errors were made by the cop, if, and I stress if, what you are saying is actually true. When the investigation is concluded, the cop that did the shooting will most likely be doing prison time, and if, and I stress if, what has been reported in this thread is actually the case...deservedly so.

It is too early for any of you that were not there in the cops shoes to pass judgement. The lynch mod mentality that has developed in this thread is appauling, it has not gone well. In a thread like this, I would expect sympathy for the person that was shot, I would expect horror at the situation, the lust for blood is truely sad and is unworthy of this forum.

This thread is done, do not restart another one, it will be deleted and you will be removed from this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom