Camallanus worm disaster HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarahmm123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For background: I have a betta fish named Zorro, who is trained to eat out of my hand. I am extremely attached to him.

So about 1 week ago I noticed pokey red things sticking out of one of my guppies. Zorro was suddenly pale, bloated and not eating. Other fish in the tank (bought at different times) are completely fine.

I searched and discovered that what I saw were camallanus worms. I bought panacur (with fenbendazole) but I live in Canada and it took a while to get here. I tried to mix the fenbendazole into some shrimp pellets, but the fish were not eating by this point. So I found some levimasole (which was EXTREMELY hard to get since its a controlled substance in Canada) and I treated with that last night.

Today, one of my guppies was dead, and my precious Zorro was almost white (he's usually red) and he was floating near the surface, then swimming in a weird erratic way where he almost went upside down.

Is there anything I can do to save Zorro? Is there a chance that he will live at this point? Should I let him go and stop the suffering (I have clove oil)?

I am so sad right now.

Personally. If your fish is struggling to swim, not eating and your treatments arent helping, then the fish is probably suffering. That would be my threshold for euthanasia met. Other people may well have a different threshold though.

Back
Top Bottom