Can I feed my fish live ants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, my house is having a bit of an ant problem right now and I was wondering if I could feed my fish ants when I find them. My diamond tetras are more that capable of eating them.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

As far as flyfishing goes, when there is no prevalent hatch going on, tie on an ant.
I've fed them to my oscar before. He did seem to enjoy the crunch.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey guys, my house is having a bit of an ant problem right now and I was wondering if I could feed my fish ants when I find them. My diamond tetras are more that capable of eating them.

As long as you don't put down any poisons or repellents of any kind I don't see why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a natural diet, so I guess why not? Just make sure you don't feed poisoned ants to the fish! :)

Seems alright. Give my diamond tetras a treat before selling them so I can have a sparkling gourami species tank :)

fish eat insects in the wild so I don't see why not , just be sure you know where there coming from and haven't been exposed to any insectisides

I tried a google search on this and it has mixed answers. It looks like the majority say why not , also warn about ants that might contain toxins and ones that might have come in contact with any type of poison. Myself ; although in nature sure they eat ants but I'll pass at home.

I have a friend who's has some ant farms, maybe I can ask him for some ants.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Never thought of this. I wonder if the Betta would eat the ants that make it into the house.... Or I could put the chemicals down... Good way to save on money with proper placing of the Betta bowl..

I have a friend who's has some ant farms, maybe I can ask him for some ants.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Ant farms , wow they still make them? I remember them growing up as a kid. You would buy the ant farm and then send away for a tube full of ants to stock it with. It was pretty cool as a kid to watch them.
Showing my age here LOL

Fire ants have venom that contains toxic alkaloids. Not sure of the effect on fish tbh. Also the colonies of these ants are HUGE hundreds to thousands of ants. The number of new ants hatched will outnumber any you catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom