Can you believe people used to flush their fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's wild! They even have the fish intubated and on a respirator! I've read that koi are sometimes treated in Japan by surgeons. It makes sense when you consider that a koi can live for 30+ years and that some varieties are worth $400 US and up. I wonder if they sell fish health insurance?

Thats amazing.. 8O

It makes sense when you consider that a koi can live for 30+ years and that some varieties are worth $400 US and up.

Over here I have seen koi go for $8000AUD + :roll:

It is pretty common in keeping some of the larger puffer fish that you might have to do some dentistry. It is recommended to use a little bit of clove oil in water and wait until the fish stops swimming. Then just clip his teeth.

Several years ago I read that a Pinecone koi set the record price for 1 fish It was many thousand of dollars!! Can't remember how much, but it was a staggering amount. Neat thing ,it was raised in California

It seems you can get insurance for anything BUT fish...
http://www.petinsurance.com/...

It is recommended to use a little bit of clove oil in water and wait until the fish stops swimming. Then just clip his teeth.
Be sure you know exactly how much to use when doing this. The clove oil is an anesthetic. Too much of it and you will euthanize your fish.

fish 'n' fries said:
I'm really curious how intubating a fish works...never thought about it as an option...

Looks to me like the tube carries oxygenated water into the fishes mouth, where it floods out over their gills (at least the bottom gill), and into the surgery tray, where it would keep their skin from drying out an becoming sticky, as well.

That was great! PBS is the most useful channel on TV (some could argue the only one heh). Thanks for posting it JDogg.

Back
Top Bottom