Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can you quarantine fish and plants in same tank

Hey, Iím just curious to know if you can quarantine plants and fish in the same tank with medications like Ich x or general cure etc.....

Old 12-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Yo...

The Ich parasite isn't going to develop on aquatic plants. I've never heard of anything like this. Ich isn't likely to infect a healthy fish in pure water conditions and medications are the last resort, because they'll affect fish differently. What's your situation?

B

Old 12-23-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you are bringing in new fish and plants at the same time plants could bring something along from their previous tank. Often people soak them in a different tank or bucket for a few days.

Sometimes they use something to help cleanse them, but I do not use chemical treatments when I receive plants. Usually I know where they came from. My lfs keeps their plants in a fishless tank separated from the other tank systems, and get lots of them from friends.

Also I haven't used either of those meds. So not sure, but it is likely to say on the bottle if it could damage plants, sensitive fish or invertebrates. If it doesn't say on the bottle, you could email the company to be sure if no one answers specifically.

What kind of plants?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ohh ok thx, but ik that the ich need a host to survive and plants are not a host ,but I meant like if the plants at the pet store We’re in a tank infected with the ich parasite on fish. When I bring those plants home wouldn’t they have the parasite on them?

And if they do do I have to worry and quarantine them?

And can I quarantine them with fish?

Also no I am not in any situation I’m just trying to grab as much knowledge as I can do that I’m prepared for any situation I’m new to this hobby sorry lol
Old 12-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

No problem. We always need / can use more information to do our best.

Yes, I have heard about the Tomant - early/pre swimming stage or Theront - swimming stage - transferring to another tank.

Info states a couple days, but I would say few days or so before feeling safe(ish).
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, plant, plants, quarantine, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com