Cleaning an old tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mth97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there everyone!

I have just recently bought a bigger tank for my goldfish and I'm wanting to wash out the old tank / gravel ! I didn't want to wash it with any chemicals or anything I was worried it would affect the next fish that was in there ! Is there a cleaning product available to clean the gravel and tank ?

Thanks heaps !

From what I have read rinse and repeat. Rinse them and put them in a couple 5g buckets with similar water you intend on using in your tank. Obviously when you put declor in use small doses. Should take but a few hours. Good luck.

The answer is: No there is no cleaning products, simply cause the best way for the fish is to rinse through with water like the person above me suggested.

I'd take the use a siphon over the gravel while emptying the tank and then take all the gravel to a bucket and keep rinsing through (or keep adding fresh water to the tank and repeat).

By not using anything but water to wash it, you also keep beneficial bacteria that will help cycle the tank for the next fish (assuming your goldfish is healthy).

Enjoy ^^

Back
Top Bottom