Colorado Lake Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it probably is. We have a pond here behind the local pizza store, and it's full of bull frogs and all that good stuff. Someone dumped a few 6" feeders in there a years back, and now when you walk by the pond, you can see tons of them schooling like shad and eating from the surface! I bet the situation in Colorado lake isn't that different.

Nils

Well, well - disappointing. The law used to be in Eastern Australia that you couldn't return them to the water if caught.

Hardly surprising. We deal with a similar situation here all the time. People get tired of taking care of their pet goldfish and dump them in the local pond/lake. Since they are a cold water fish (basically just a mutated carp), they survive just fine and most continue to grow. We watched an Osprey pull two goldfish, both over 12" long, out of a local pond a few years ago, one right after the other.

I find that amazing on the population growth rate. Never seen that here in ponds or lakes so just incredible. Carp in rivers here are the closest analogy I can find.

I did a little further research on this and the ironic thing is that it is a man made lake. If you read the quote carefully the spokesperson is angry that the goldfish are disrupting the false ecosystem that they created.

While it is wildly irresponsible to put aquarium fish into any wild or mandamde ecosystem - even if they are native to the area - the attitude of the spokesperson is ridiculous. First she's outraged the goldfish have flourished, then cops an attitude towards people wanted to help remove a few.

Goldfish can and do survive here (Ontario, Canada). I saw a 2 footer many years ago in the Second Marsh near Oshawa. It was just as bright as any I have ever seen, although they are supposed to fade over time.

The breeding seems horrific?? Is it true?? Fish surviving no worries but breeding seems worse than rabbits.

If they were no predators, it would make sense. But it seems to me that they would be easy targets when young because of their bright coloration.

Fishobsessed7

I lived here almost 20 years never heard nothing about that , besides I think if a goldfish got out in a lake they would be fast food for many of our fish spices

Sadly, on my last trip to my hometown in NJ, I walked to my old fave fishing spot only to find a small school of large KOI swimming in the lake. That lake did house wild Carp but these were definitely aquarium Koi not wild Carp. :(
I just saw something on TV here as well about the goldfish explosion in the CO lake. Not surprising to me. Come to FL and go to any canal in S. FL and you will see a variety of aquarium fish that are the byproduct of hobbyist releases. In some places, it's easier to catch an Oscar than it is to catch a Largemouth Bass. :( In other places, you can catch more African Cichlids than Native panfish. You can see a list of what's here on this site: Nonnative Freshwater Fish

Then there's the saltwater fish as well. :facepalm:

I live about 50 min from boulder and saw that pond a few weeks back. Its honestly pretty shocking but seen it a couple of times. At a lake up in fort Collins about 8 years ago we went fishing and we saw 6-7 large goldfish (14-18") swimming around in the lake. This was a natural lake filled with local species. The fish hadn't over populated and were large enough to have been there for a while it seemed the juveniles were being eaten by the northern pike and trout in the lake. Really a sad thing to see a lake grossly over populated with an invasive species. :nono:

There is a man made pond filled only with goldfish and koi people have released near me. They don't do anything about it because there is no way for them to get out.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Same here in Kentucky. I see people turn goldfish out a lot and just recently someone caught an 8" one (I think, could've been bigger).

Sent from Amazon River

My grandpa owns a few lakes in KY. We introduced several hundred carp to keep several kinds of vegetation down but they haven't affected bass, bluegill, catfish, or crappie populations.

29g Community

3g Betta

Also are snapping turtles native to Ky? I've found them as big across as my torso basking in the bank there.

29g Community

3g Betta

Back
Top Bottom