Cory fish and minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollyelzie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I rescued these 3 fish. 2 albino Cory catfish and one rosy red minnow. They were getting along just fine this whole time. But I am noticing the minnow is constantly chasing the corys, at first I thought the minnow was just lonely and was following the corys. Can someone please tell me what I can do. Are they playing or is the minnow trying to bully the corys. These are the first fish I’ve ever kept, I’m just trying to give them happy lives. So I want to do anything possible to make them happier. Btw these fish were kept in a small fish bowl together for a year before I took them from my sister. Are these fish compatible too?

Did you take the existing tank, filter, heater etc with the fish or did you take the fish and put them in a new home with new equipment etc?

Your minnow is probably just lonely and looking for company. Minnows are social fish and like to be in groups if their own kind. When not in sufficient numbers they can act strangely. Be aggresive or just make the best of it and try to befriend whatever is in the tank. 6 is normally the minimum number for minnows. Same for the corys actually. Thats not to say you should just go out and get more, your tank might not be big enough.

Corys are like little tanks so i wouldnt worry too much about them unless you see any harm being done.

What are your long term plans for these fish?

Hello Thankyou so much for replying. These fish did not come with anything but a tiny fish bowl, they didn’t even have plants or hideouts. That’s why I was worried and took them home with me. I have them in a 10 gallon tank for now, I completely know this isn’t big enough. I’m saving for a 20 gallon tank. I was planning that once I got a big enough tank that I would get more minnows and maybe 1 or 2 more corys since I know these fish love to school.

I am only 18 and don’t have a job so I’m selling extra clothes to afford everything. For now I’ve only managed to buy some plants and a air pump and hideouts. I have been looking at sponge filters since the electric ones are kinda expensive. I went into a fish store for advice too and they only advised for a filter which I already was saving for

I have never owned fish before, but I’m a huge animal lover and I want to do everything to make them happy. I haven’t had them for very long but I love them so much. So I will take any advice I’m given. Thankyou again

If you are starting over your new system wont be cycled. If you dont know about the nitrogen cycle this is a good explanatory video of what its about.

https://youtu.be/qMk_SfR0CuU

You will need to cycle the tank. I will assume your budget doesnt run to testing kits etc at the moment, so it would be a good idea to regularly change the water. Maybe 25% water change every other day for a month, then slowly cut back on the frequency until you are changing 25-30% per week. You dont have many fish at the moment so it shouldn't be difficult to keep the water quality good until you are cycled.

Link to some useful stickies for new fish keepers. I think there is a post on what to do if you suddenly find yourself with fish.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

Back
Top Bottom