Craigslist Insanity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was browsing Craigslist for deals on fish stuff and stumbled across someone trying to sell their 3 gallon "glofish aquarium" for $175, and I just had to share this little bit of insanity. I mean most of the posts are a bit insane on their asking prices, but this takes the cake. That is more than $50 a gallon for a tiny little death trap of a tank. Some people...

That's crazy!
I sold a thirty gallon octagon tank, very tall, came with-
Gravel
Decor
Test strips
Three breeder boxes/ nets
HOB filter
Extra filter pads
Food
Siphon
Bucket
Gravel vac
Net
Water conditioner
Meds for ich Parasites, general meds, fin rot meds, and something else
Bacteria supplement
Hood
Lights
Airstone
Air pump
Air valves
Airline tubing
Heater
Stand
And a million and one other things
All for $60 on craigslist
There was so much stuff that it was overflowing out of the top of the tank

Yep it's nuts. Or how about this one( we have all seen something like this.) I have a cracked tank that can't hold water. Would be good for mice, snakes, lizards or turtles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't turtles aquatic? Which means they need WATER! If the crack is towards the top of the tank, it might work. Most people don't know the difference between turtles/torts. I also seen an ad where someone wanted to trade a fish tank ( no size given) for a case of coors light beer!

My favorite is the guy trying to sell a reef tank. It's been set up 2months, "I have over $2k invested" Then it comes down to the Liverstock list and equipment. And it's a 20g with HOB filter 10lbs LR a clown and a cleaner shrimp.... Some cheap leathers & colt coral...

But they'll let it go for $1k......

I flag posts that are outrages or send a "your an idiot" email.com

It's not on Craigslist, but a local classified website:
Everything you need for a betta or gold fish! $100
Basically it's a bowl and food with an air line, but no air stone or pump ha!

wow thats crazy. i found a 4 gallon "self cleaning" tank for i think $150. some people...

Lol I hate offers like that or when you can tell they dont know about fish
Someone tried to pass off a big tuber ware looking thing for a "easy maintenance" goldfish tank -.-
This one I wanna buy but I dont have the money
It's a fluval chi they said they bought 3 goldfish for their daughter they died in a week and didn't wanna go through the heartache but it's $60 practically new good deal?

I just saw a person on craigslist selling a 55 gallon for 200 and will include two angel fish "for the great low price of 200 for the both of them!"

butterfly_koi said:
I just saw a person on craigslist selling a 55 gallon for 200 and will include two angel fish "for the great low price of 200 for the both of them!"

If that means $200 for the tank and another $200 for the fish, those angelfish had better be able to operate a siphon, clean their own tank, and do my homework for me.

Alyxx said:
If that means $200 for the tank and another $200 for the fish, those angelfish had better be able to operate a siphon, clean their own tank, and do my homework for me.

Lol agreed, the ad stated that they were special angel fish that will breed every seven to eight days

I actually stopped looking on Craigslist since a lot of people feel they should get retail.

Tanks/filters and the like are like cars (Not Collector cars)...they depreciate as soon as you buy them and quickly.

A buck a Gallon on a clean tank(no issues) is decent price.

Any filter should be 25% of Retail (Amazon Retail not MSRP)

Stands and Hood (25% to 50% Depending on condition etc) and if someone is "Selling as a Set" they should be giving you an additional Discount IMO.

Now I have a Couple of Guys then get used stuff (Flea markets, closing LFS etc) and I just Reach out to them if I need anything and DIY the rest.
I do use Amazon for about 95% of my new purchase needs.

I just found this on my local CL.
I have 10 free Comet Goldfish would like all of the gone as a group of 10. They are around 1 inch or less long at the moment. FYI-In an average 10 gallon tank, if well cared for and not crowded, they can grow up to about 4 inches (10 cm), while in a larger uncrowded tank they can grow larger generally reaching about 7 or 8 inches (17.78 - 20.32 cm). If kept in a spacious pond they can reach over 12 inches (30+ cm).

10 comets in a 10 gallon. I'm pulling my hair out!!

You have to see this:

"I have a redneck glass made to put betta fish in, come with bamboo. Selling for $15. Will meet locally. Give me a call/txt at XXX-XXXX. I have sold 8 already at craft shows & locally with no complaints and everything has worked out great. Glass not recommended to be drank out of obviously!"

:facepalm::banghead:

Attachments

• betta.jpg
    betta.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 542
bigbanker said:
You have to see this:

"I have a redneck glass made to put betta fish in, come with bamboo. Selling for $15. Will meet locally. Give me a call/txt at XXX-XXXX. I have sold 8 already at craft shows & locally with no complaints and everything has worked out great. Glass not recommended to be drank out of obviously!"

How horrible!

bigbanker said:
You have to see this:

Terrible for a fish, but rather amusing as a glass. A stemmed mason jar... Never thought I would see that one.

Found a 15 gallon for $150 includes:
55 gallon water filter
55 gallon bubble system
30 gallon heater
Hood Lights
Rocks
One Month Filter Replacement

I hope she didn't have this all in the 15 gallon

ONE OF MY LFS POSTED AN AD AND THE STUFF INCLUDED IS ALL
USED I WENT TO CHECK IT OUT KINDA CRAZY WHAT THERE ASKING FOR

72 Gallon Bow Front

Deluxe Reef Aquarium