Craigslist Post today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimmcannally

Aquarium Advice Regular
How to Clean a Dirty Fish Tank and Not Hurt the Fish

So how many of you remove all your fish while cleaning the tank?
Unplug and remove the heater?
Add 1 cup sea salt per 50 gallons of water?

I thought it was nice for the people who have no idea how to care for fish, and it's smart to unplug the heater (although I never do) but I can't imagine chasing all my fish down and taking them out every week to do a water change!

How to Clean a Dirty Fish Tank and Not Hurt the Fish

So how many of you remove all your fish while cleaning the tank?
Unplug and remove the heater?
Add 1 cup sea salt per 50 gallons of water?

I thought it was nice for the people who have no idea how to care for fish, and it's smart to unplug the heater (although I never do) but I can't imagine chasing all my fish down and taking them out every week to do a water change!

I admit I do unplug the heater; the plug is next to the filter plug and I unplug both during water changes.
Remove fish? Are you kidding me? But then again if its on the Internet it must be true.

I've melted the crap out of one of my heater's clamps by not unplugging it.... maybe I should have read that article.

It has since been removed.

I have everything plugged into the same power strip, including the lights, so I don't do that or I can't see what I'm doing. If I moved the lights to a different source, I'd end up leaving the heaters off overnight when I accidentally forget to plug the filter back in. As it is, my heaters are safe to come out of the water while still plugged in. They shut down automatically and reset when the water comes back up above a certain level so I just leave them plugged in all the time and not worry about it. Now, all I have to do is remember to plug the filters back in. I have managed to leave them off overnight. It wasn't until the next morning that I was looking at the tank and wondering why it was so quiet that I remembered.

Sea salt belongs in the saltwater tanks.

On my tanks that have heaters, I put them parallel to the substrate only a few inches up so that they never get uncovered even during a water change.

Back
Top Bottom