custom stands and canopys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

would you pay to have a custom built stand?

• yes,if reasonably priced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

i like fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
jsut wondering if there was any sort of demand for this, im looking into starting a business, and was just curiuos if it would be profitable.

I'll vote, but thought I'd mention that I'd probably look for good off-the-shelf templates too. I enjoy doing a lot of things myself and would probably pay for someone to design for me so I could build. Maybe do both in your business? Build and design. Sell the design specs too?

thats a good idea too, thanks, im gonna be taking courses on how to draw plans and stuff so they are all professional like, so that would be good too.

I voted no, but only cuz i build my own! I think you could make money but not for a living well maybe if you dont have much bills :lol: Around your area you will do good for a while then what? People wont want to pay shipping on something that big. They could have someone make one in there area and not pay shipping. And i dont think you could mark them up enough to ship for free either cuz then they could just buy one over the counter. But you may get a few that just want a custom one thoe. Good luck thoe :wink:

i like fish, my husband put himself through college building cabinets and though he would love to own his own business, there are some serious considerations that have stopped us. First, the issue with custom is that it's--well, custom. Cab shops make $ because they can build efficiently (repeat the same step on 10 units at once, that kind of thing) and once you get into true custom that goes out the window. The solution is to charge more, which cuts down on the number of people who will be interested . . . anyway, if you've got the equipment and the shop space already, it might be doable. But from experience, I can say it's the kind of thing that it very, very hard to do out of a garage or something. I don't want to be discouraging, but that is our experience.

That said, if anyone in the Sacramento area wants a custom stand and will pay top dollar, give me a ring. :)

well it was more of like a part of a business, my plan for the future was to hopefully own my own fish store, and do that as a side thing, but before i get my own store, i planned on making small furnitures and such and selling them through my moms shop, i was jsut wondering if it was even worth bothering to try or if it would probably not be worth it, i planned on this being a local thing, but i put the poll up to see if people would even want to buy a custom stand, or would rather have a veneered particle board stand or whatever, i have seen some nice custom stands on the site and lots of comments about how nice they are but peopel dotn have time to do it themselves, so i thought it might be a good way to help other s out and make some money, but i didnt know if there was any real demand, or if people jsut like to wow at what they cant or really dont want to have...thanks for the opinions all

I made a few standard size 2x4 stands for one of the local pet shops when I was about 14 or 15. I quickly learned that I wasn't going to make much money at it because the owner could purchase them from a supplier for not much more than what I was paying for materials. If you want to make some custom stands, I'd recommend making one for yourself, take a few pictures of it, and ask if you can post the pictures with a brief description up at the local fish stores. Make sure you keep careful track of the cost of your materials and how much time it took so that you can give an accurate estimate if anyone is interested.
Hope this helps.

All I can say is every business started somewhere no matter how big or small. If you feel you can produce a quality product that people will buy then do it. I am a carpenter myself and a good name can get around quicker than people would think(especially in the constuction industry) like I said before people will pay good money if the product is worth it. Follow what your heart tells you and good luck to you. BTW I voted no because like I said before I am a carpenter :)

Back
Top Bottom